Jun 11, 2012, 3:08 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Texans love barbeque.
• If you read just one thing today, make it An oral history of the Dream Team at GQ, put together by my man Lang Whitaker. Fantastic stuff.
• One final great read, about the basketball hero system at Deadspin.
• Referees working the NBA finals will wear number 57 on their jerseys to recognize NBA referee Greg Willard who was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Great gesture.
• Watch out for people saying “small market Oklahoma City getting to NBA finals a sign of parity/better economics in the NBA.” No. Not close. The Thunder roster was built under the old system. Good management is good management.
• Celtics big man Jermaine O’Neal tweeted he is going to go to Germany and get the Kobe knee treatment.
• I’ve been as quick to throw dirt on the grave of Derek Fisher as anyone, but he really helped the Thunder and foiled Gregg Popovich in the WCF.
• We’ll see what happens going forward, but whatever it is the Celtics “big three” will have left their mark on the NBA.
• Owner Ted Leonsis wants to get the Wizards’ practice facility.
• There will be 8 million of these stories before the draft and they are almost all meaningless — Hornets GM Dell Demps is open to moving the No. 10 pick for the right price. Of course he is. Every pick in this draft (except No. 1) and nearly every player in the league could be traded if you come with an over-the-top offer. That’s very different than saying it’s likely.
• By the way, the Hornets might take UNC’s Tyler Zeller with that No. 10 pick they are trading.
• Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson has been re-elected. Which is good for whatever is left of the effort to build an arena in Sacramento. Of course, he was never the problem with that deal.
• Another big free agent this summer — long time NBA writer Peter Vecsey is leaving the New York Post soon.
• The NBA is going to telecast it’s first ever Social Media Awards.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 17
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 25
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2