Jun 11, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
LeBron James has — either for the first time or the 100th, depending on how you dissect his words — owned up to what you, I, Erik Spoelstra, Jeff Van Gundy, and pretty much every sports fan living in a first world country already knew:
LeBron was not very good in the 2011 NBA finals against the Dallas Mavericks.
He talked about last year’s finals at media day, just more than 24 hours before the start Game 1 of the 2012 NBA finals, via Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.
“I didn’t play well,” he said during Monday NBA Finals media day…. “I think I said that 100 times this year. I didn’t play well. I didn’t make enough game-changing plays that I know I’m capable of making, and I felt like I let my teammates down. I don’t know. I don’t know if that’s something I haven’t said before. Just didn’t make enough plays.
“I’m happy and I’m humbled that I can actually be back in this position less than 12 months later, to do a better job of making more plays, more game-changing plays out on the floor on a bigger stage.”
The question is not did LeBron know he played poorly. The question really is how did that prepare him for this finals, how has he absorbed what he learned and can he take the next step because of that.
As it was against Boston, LeBron is going to have to play phenomenal ball for the Heat to be in games. And it can’t just be one half of elite play, either, the Thunder are too good. LeBron and teammates will really have to bring it for 48 minutes.
We’ll see if the lessons of the past can get him there.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 3
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 28
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 4
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 19
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19