Jun 11, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
LeBron James has — either for the first time or the 100th, depending on how you dissect his words — owned up to what you, I, Erik Spoelstra, Jeff Van Gundy, and pretty much every sports fan living in a first world country already knew:
LeBron was not very good in the 2011 NBA finals against the Dallas Mavericks.
He talked about last year’s finals at media day, just more than 24 hours before the start Game 1 of the 2012 NBA finals, via Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.
“I didn’t play well,” he said during Monday NBA Finals media day…. “I think I said that 100 times this year. I didn’t play well. I didn’t make enough game-changing plays that I know I’m capable of making, and I felt like I let my teammates down. I don’t know. I don’t know if that’s something I haven’t said before. Just didn’t make enough plays.
“I’m happy and I’m humbled that I can actually be back in this position less than 12 months later, to do a better job of making more plays, more game-changing plays out on the floor on a bigger stage.”
The question is not did LeBron know he played poorly. The question really is how did that prepare him for this finals, how has he absorbed what he learned and can he take the next step because of that.
As it was against Boston, LeBron is going to have to play phenomenal ball for the Heat to be in games. And it can’t just be one half of elite play, either, the Thunder are too good. LeBron and teammates will really have to bring it for 48 minutes.
We’ll see if the lessons of the past can get him there.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18