Jun 11, 2012, 1:04 PM EDT
There was a point a couple weeks ago, when San Antonio had won 10 in a row in the playoffs and looked headed to the NBA finals, it looked like the Spurs could be one of the better NBA playoffs teams ever. Then the Oklahoma City Thunder happened.
No team out of this year’s NBA playoffs is going to be linked with the most dominant playoff teams in the league’s history. We may be at the start of a fantastic Heat/Thunder rivalry that lasts a few years, but neither of these squads has been dominant in the playoffs.
Still, this talk raises the question:
Which were the five most dominant NBA playoff teams ever? Here’s my list.
5) 1970-71 Milwaukee Bucks. You think you can slow a team with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at his peak in the paint and Oscar Robertson on the wing? Good luck. These Bucks averaged 118 points a game, won 66 games in the regular season and shot 50.9 percent as a team. They went 12-2 in the playoffs and steamrolled everyone in their path including a sweep of Baltimore in the NBA finals.
4) 1990-91 Chicago Bulls. It was the first title for Michael Jordan and the Bulls and after years of running into the wall that was the Detroit Pistons (three straight playoff eliminations) they broke through with a vengeance and went 15-2 in the playoffs. That Jordan guy was pretty good in the playoffs — 31.1 points per game on 52.4 percent shooting, 8.4 assists and 6.4 rebounds.
3) 1982-83 Philadelphia 76ers. Everyone seems to overlook this team and forget how great they were — they killed it during the regular season (they were 59-7 at one point) then Moses Malone, Julius Erving and team turned it on in the playoffs. Malone predicted a “fo’ fo’ fo’” sweep through the playoffs, and they came close going 12-1 and that included a sweep of the Showtime era Lakers in the finals.
2) 1995-96 Chicago Bulls. The best team ever, they won 72 regular season games and lost just one game getting through the Eastern Conference. Then Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and friends raced out to a 3-0 lead over Seattle in the finals before they took their foot off the gas pedal and dropped a couple to the Sonics. But they went 15-3 in the playoffs and if you put these teams in a tournament it’s hard to see who beats them. Unless…
1) 2000-01 Los Angeles Lakers. The middle year of the Lakers three-pete with Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant, they coasted and dealt with injuries through much of the season. But when the playoffs came they flipped the switch — they went 15-1 and that only loss was in overtime to the Allen-Iverson led 76ers. No team has ever had a better playoff run.
Klay Thompson, Kyle Korver engage in three-point shooting contest at USA Basketball mini-camp (VIDEO)
Jul 31, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Klay Thompson and Kyle Korver engaged in a shooting contest at USA Basketball mini-camp in Vegas.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Mason Plumlee and DeMarcus Cousins will be on opposing teams in Friday’s exhibition.
Derrick Rose was aggressive in pursuit of free agent Pau Gasol. Recruiting Carmelo Anthony? Not so much.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Tensions reportedly exist between Rose and the Bulls front office.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
USA roster has more than enough talent, so it can afford to sacrifice some to get positive attitudes in place.
If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Don’t bet on it happening. But it’s not impossible.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
It’s the memory of a lifetime… even if you get embarrassed.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Mark Madsen and Paul Pressey also reportedly candidates for Byron Scott’s staff
Jul 31, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT
Watch this and remember why you love basketball.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Wall raising expectations after Wizards met last season’s playoff goal
Jul 31, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
Jul 31, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Does China really know what it’s getting here?
Jul 31, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
As tight as he is with Kidd, do you really think Payton would choose Milwaukee over Los Angeles?
Jul 31, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Milwaukee, with Damien Inglis in limbo, now facing roster crunch
Jul 31, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Like most “feuds,” once two rational people sit down and talk for a minute, everything dissipates.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
That means he’s signing with the Wizards, right?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Barring another move, Toronto down to one roster spot for Lucas Nogueira or DeAndre Daniels
Jul 31, 2014, 10:41 AM EDT
“We think he’s one of the top players in the league and we need for him to be that five that nobody has.” —Mike Krzyzewski on Anthony Davis
Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Palmer to marry celebrity hair stylist Tanya Stine
Jul 31, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Former Oregon State standout impresses with shot-blocking ability
Jul 31, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Jeremy Lin in a full-blown dance number. You know you want to see that.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59