Jun 11, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
The Clippers are on the hunt for a new general manager. One they said they’d reached a deal with in principle when clearly they hadn’t.
Now we know why — Neil Olshey made the same decision you, I or any sane person would have.
Broderick Turner did some digging for the Los Angeles Times and found these numbers: The Clippers offered Olshey one year at $750,000, the Blazers offered three years at $3.6 million with a team option for two more years beyond that. That’s not a decision about bike lanes vs. freeways, or who has the better microbrews. That’s just the logical decision we’d all make. The Blazers were offering about the going rate for NBA GMs, the Clippers are below it.
So now the Clippers need to fill their GM vacancy offering less than most other teams make and if they insist on a one-year contract — so the GM’s deal ends with Vinny Del Negro’s deal — it’s not very secure. Still, some good names have lined up to at least take a look.
The Clippers have reportedly reached out to the representative for Kiki Vandeweghe, the former Nuggets GM who most recently has done pre/post game analysis on the Clippers broadcasts.
The Los Angeles Times also had a longer list of candidates.
Indiana Pacers General Manager David Morway, former Lakers assistant general manager Ronnie Lester, Golden State Warriors assistant general manger Travis Schlenk, Detroit Pistons assistant general manager Scott Perry and former Minnesota assistant general manager Tony Ronzone all have been viewed as good candidates if the Clippers decided to look their way, the executives said.
That’s a good list. But even if you get them can you keep them long at that money without a longer term deal? Like most things, you get what you pay for.
It’s these kinds of things that should make Clippers fans nervous with Chris Paul’s contract ending after next season.
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 0
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9