Jun 11, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
The Clippers are on the hunt for a new general manager. One they said they’d reached a deal with in principle when clearly they hadn’t.
Now we know why — Neil Olshey made the same decision you, I or any sane person would have.
Broderick Turner did some digging for the Los Angeles Times and found these numbers: The Clippers offered Olshey one year at $750,000, the Blazers offered three years at $3.6 million with a team option for two more years beyond that. That’s not a decision about bike lanes vs. freeways, or who has the better microbrews. That’s just the logical decision we’d all make. The Blazers were offering about the going rate for NBA GMs, the Clippers are below it.
So now the Clippers need to fill their GM vacancy offering less than most other teams make and if they insist on a one-year contract — so the GM’s deal ends with Vinny Del Negro’s deal — it’s not very secure. Still, some good names have lined up to at least take a look.
The Clippers have reportedly reached out to the representative for Kiki Vandeweghe, the former Nuggets GM who most recently has done pre/post game analysis on the Clippers broadcasts.
The Los Angeles Times also had a longer list of candidates.
Indiana Pacers General Manager David Morway, former Lakers assistant general manager Ronnie Lester, Golden State Warriors assistant general manger Travis Schlenk, Detroit Pistons assistant general manager Scott Perry and former Minnesota assistant general manager Tony Ronzone all have been viewed as good candidates if the Clippers decided to look their way, the executives said.
That’s a good list. But even if you get them can you keep them long at that money without a longer term deal? Like most things, you get what you pay for.
It’s these kinds of things that should make Clippers fans nervous with Chris Paul’s contract ending after next season.
- Report: With LeBron James heading to Cleveland, Kevin Love would commit to Cavaliers long term if traded there 21
- Report: Lakers finalizing trade for Rockets’ Jeremy Lin 37
- LeBron to Cleveland first domino, what’s next? Bosh to Rockets, and much more 55
- LeBron James in his own words on why he chose Cleveland 91
- LeBron James going home, to sign with Cleveland Cavaliers 241
- While waiting on Plan A to make up his mind, Lakers mulling Plan B options 25
- Report: Heat and Cavaliers expect decision before LeBron James leaves for Sunday’s World Cup final 61
- Reports: Carmelo Anthony unsure on Knicks, can’t get the Bulls out of his head 55