Jun 11, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
The Clippers are on the hunt for a new general manager. One they said they’d reached a deal with in principle when clearly they hadn’t.
Now we know why — Neil Olshey made the same decision you, I or any sane person would have.
Broderick Turner did some digging for the Los Angeles Times and found these numbers: The Clippers offered Olshey one year at $750,000, the Blazers offered three years at $3.6 million with a team option for two more years beyond that. That’s not a decision about bike lanes vs. freeways, or who has the better microbrews. That’s just the logical decision we’d all make. The Blazers were offering about the going rate for NBA GMs, the Clippers are below it.
So now the Clippers need to fill their GM vacancy offering less than most other teams make and if they insist on a one-year contract — so the GM’s deal ends with Vinny Del Negro’s deal — it’s not very secure. Still, some good names have lined up to at least take a look.
The Clippers have reportedly reached out to the representative for Kiki Vandeweghe, the former Nuggets GM who most recently has done pre/post game analysis on the Clippers broadcasts.
The Los Angeles Times also had a longer list of candidates.
Indiana Pacers General Manager David Morway, former Lakers assistant general manager Ronnie Lester, Golden State Warriors assistant general manger Travis Schlenk, Detroit Pistons assistant general manager Scott Perry and former Minnesota assistant general manager Tony Ronzone all have been viewed as good candidates if the Clippers decided to look their way, the executives said.
That’s a good list. But even if you get them can you keep them long at that money without a longer term deal? Like most things, you get what you pay for.
It’s these kinds of things that should make Clippers fans nervous with Chris Paul’s contract ending after next season.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48