Jun 10, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
The Dallas Morning News shared an interesting note about Brendan Haywood‘s seemingly albatross contract that could be huge this summer.
Haywood has what one NBA executive called “the best spread provision in the NBA” in his contract. In layman’s terms, any team that waives Haywood can spread out the payments for the remainder of his contract until 2026, according to an NBA source.
That means the team that owns his rights and waives him would be responsible for no more than $2 million per year over the next 14 years.
That clause in the deal is a huge incentive when it comes to including Haywood as a possible sweetener in trade talks that are going fast and furious as teams gear up for the frenzy that will begin as soon as the NBA finals end. Other teams see that as a very appealing contract.
To be clear, the Mavericks can’t waive him, his money still goes on the books. But they can trade him, a team can waive him, and then pay him out. For a team like the Bobcats with oodles and oodles of cap space, that’s huge. Every little bit of space the Mavericks can fanagle is going to help them with their plans for the summer and acquiring Deron Williams and/or Dwight Howard.
That’s a big deal. The spread provision hasn’t been used yet in the NBA but it’s a major help to any team looking to save money. The Bobcats, for instance, could acquire Haywood and then spread out not only the money owed to Haywood which helps for cap purposes, but the cap hit as well. It’s a pretty phenomenal boost for a team that needs it. Any team that takes on Haywood can get a year of service out of him, then minimize the damage.
This could help Dallas out in a big, big way.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 31
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?