Jun 10, 2012, 3:11 AM EDT
It was an emotional moment.
Then Rondo and Garnett kept walking, all the way back to the locker room before the final buzzer sounded — cameras followed them all the way back to the locker room while there was time on the clock.
They snubbed the Heat and did not take part in the traditional post-game hand congratulations and hand shakes with the other team.
Classless way to end it, guys.
A bunch of you just said, “so what? They were pissed off after losing Game 7 like they should be.” You are all the exact same people who would have ripped LeBron James as a disrespectful jerk if he did it. And in the past, when Lebron did skip the postgame handshake, it became a huge deal and he was shredded for it. This is exactly the same thing. You can’t have it both ways.
I get that they were ticked off but I expect them to be mature adults. I expect them to be able to accept defeat with a modicum of grace — Ray Allen did it, Paul Pierce did it, Doc Rivers did it, the other Celtics did it. You don’t have to be happy but you do have to show the opponents that just beat you some respect.
Struggling on defense — their calling card — then walking out on shaking hands is just a sad way to see a fantastic era of Celtics basketball probably come to an end. I just expected more from KG and Rondo.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 19
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49