Garnett, Rondo snub Heat, head to locker room before final buzzer. Classy.

Jun 10, 2012, 3:11 AM EST

Kevin Garnett Getty Images

It was an emotional moment.

Doc Rivers pulled out his stars Rajon Rondo, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen in what may have been their final game together. There were hugs and embraces all around on the Celtics bench.

Then Rondo and Garnett kept walking, all the way back to the locker room before the final buzzer sounded — cameras followed them all the way back to the locker room while there was time on the clock.

They snubbed the Heat and did not take part in the traditional post-game hand congratulations and hand shakes with the other team.

Classless way to end it, guys.

A bunch of you just said, “so what? They were pissed off after losing Game 7 like they should be.” You are all the exact same people who would have ripped LeBron James as a disrespectful jerk if he did it. And in the past, when Lebron did skip the postgame handshake, it became a huge deal and he was shredded for it. This is exactly the same thing. You can’t have it both ways.

I get that they were ticked off but I expect them to be mature adults. I expect them to be able to accept defeat with a modicum of grace — Ray Allen did it, Paul Pierce did it, Doc Rivers did it, the other Celtics did it. You don’t have to be happy but you do have to show the opponents that just beat you some respect.

Struggling on defense — their calling card — then walking out on shaking hands is just a sad way to see a fantastic era of Celtics basketball probably come to an end. I just expected more from KG and Rondo.

157 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. phaden27 - Jun 10, 2012 at 3:15 AM

That salt is going great with my crow Kurt.

2. cakemixa - Jun 10, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Is anyone really surprised that these two would do that…?

• polegojim - Jun 10, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I used to like the Celtics… but watching Garnett’s antics during the games, I’ve come to expect a foul mouthed, poor sport, bad loser, with zero restraint. That’s not tough, that’s cheap.

In 313, we call that low class no class trashy. I’m glad he lost. Even the ‘bad boy’ Detroit Pistons could muster up some end-of-game sportsmanship.

Too bad it seem he’s teaching Rondo how to be classless as well.

3. angulocarlos1 - Jun 10, 2012 at 3:21 AM

KG is a d*ck, rondo must admire him

4. rodge1 - Jun 10, 2012 at 3:22 AM

No one has ever accused KG of being classy so this is no surprise. The sooner that P.O.S. is gone from the league, the better off the NBA is.

5. sellahh - Jun 10, 2012 at 3:26 AM

I’d rather see somebody not shake my hand than do it out-of-reason and artificially, hate doing that actually. Love KG and Rondo, still not as much as I love my Lakeshow.

• knightrider1755 - Jun 10, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Should be an NBA rule that no player can leave the floor of an NBA game until the clock expires. It already applies to players who are on the court at the end of a game. If there is a violation of the rule, the offending player should be fined. Problem solved.

• sweetdayo - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM

yeah then a lot of players would be fined. this has happened a lot throughout the years.

6. dgbk - Jun 10, 2012 at 3:41 AM

did u write an article to say “hey guys thats not fair.” clearly ppl hate lebron mostly because its in style.

if lebron did this i wouldnt have lost any respect for him…same way i havent lost any for kg and rondo. They didnt owe the heat a hand shake this is not little league.

• knightrider1755 - Jun 10, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Good position. That’s why they are going home to watch the finals on television like the rest of us. Celtics suck.

7. progress2011 - Jun 10, 2012 at 3:50 AM

KG- One senior citizen, that has few skills left, relegated to only being able to talk smack and do his 5 push-ups for the week, to pretend he still has game.

Rondo- Fake, wanna-be tough guy, with a broke-jumper. Thinks more highly of himself, than his skills on the court exhibit. He has his one move to the basket, where he travels, most times…that’s it. Did his 3 push-ups to pretend he is a thug too.

No worries….when I kick yo a**, you don’t have to shake my hand.

• sellahh - Jun 10, 2012 at 4:08 AM

at first i was supposed to write something here but then i realized it has no point so ill just write this

• progress2011 - Jun 10, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Ahahahahaha…sellahh, that’s the BEST thing you’ve said, since you’ve been posting.

If you keep repeating “nothing” you will be doing all the educated fans of “FUNDAMENTAL” B-Ball a huge favor.

• scalfor3 - Jun 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM

well progress, you clearly know nothing about basketball

• progress2011 - Jun 10, 2012 at 11:45 PM

scalfor, do you have a comment to make that you can intelligently communicate, that would dispute my position or justify yours.

Or

Are you incapable of proving a point factually and all of your bias is based on emotion. Kinda like your buddy (also with a weird name) sellahh.

• scalfor3 - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

kg averaged 19 and 10 this postseason. he ate the heats interior d alive in that series. i think its safe to say he still has game.

rondo’s been in the league for 6 years. he already has 10 career postseason triple doubles. thats tied for fourth ALL TIME. in his 6th year! by the way, he’s tied with wilt chamberlain and only behind larry bird, jason kidd, and magic johnson. good company

both guys are pretty damn good. they are the reason that series went 7 games. implying that they suck proves that you either know nothing about basketball or are incapable of making an unbiased judgement

have i made myself clear? do you understand the point i am communicating?

• progress2011 - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:34 AM

scalfor….

The reason the series went 7, is because Bosh was hurt ! It had NOTHING to do with Boston. They would have been SWEPT if Bosh would have been healthy.

KG is a legitimate 7’0″ . He got pts and rebounds against 6’9″ Lebron. We all saw what happened when Bosh returned. KG’s numbers went waaaaay down and dudes tongue was hanging outta his mouth, in the 3rd ! He was actually showing signs of exhaustion, in the 2nd (hands on his hips, mouth open & sweating like a pig) !

Rondo is a stat sheet. He is a good 3rd option on any team. He is a decent player, but the fact that he is attempting to take on a KG, fake tough-guy, smack talker attitude doesn’t suit him.

When he can CONSISTENTLY make a jumper and get more than one move, to the basket, he may turn the corner and become a number 2 or number 1 option….until then, he needs to humble himself because his game has obvious deficiencies.

At the end of the day, I encourage you to write in to the Celtic head office and tell them to roll those Old Foggies out again next year…..Because I will be here with a fresh bottle of salt, to rub in your wounds because you will ‘ WHINE ‘ again next year. ahahahahaaha

Roll ‘em out again…..ahahaha

• scalfor3 - Jun 11, 2012 at 6:04 PM

theres no point in arguing with you. if you really dont think rondos a great player after the amount of times he’s carved your team up, then you clearly cant see past your biases. theres no way it would’ve been a clean sweep with bosh, and especially if both teams had a clean bill of health. enjoy losing to okc

• progress2011 - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:59 PM

scalfor….I see you have trouble comprehending. I CLEARLY stated Rondo is a decent player.

But that since his game has Obvious deficiencies and since he is not a 1 or 2 option yet, his wanna-be tough guy persona does not suit him.

He should humble himself, until such time, he has a complete game and is the 1 or 2 option instead of a 3 or 4 option.

I understand comprehension is hard for you but that explanation is clear as I can get, for your 4th grade ability to understand.

• iamhoraceknight - Jun 10, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Progress2011, You clearly DO NOT Watch basketball at all. KG had more 20/10 Games than Any player in the Post Season and he’s 36. He was clearly one the best players in the post-season.

Did you NOT see the 44 pt 17 assts while playing the entire game that Rondo had?

8. labratre - Jun 10, 2012 at 4:41 AM

First of all we all know this is not LITTLE LEAGUE, as someone mentioned. I thought it was PROFESSIONAL basketball. Ok, as far as I can recall, don’t PROFESSIONAL mean conducting yourself in a professional manner. KG and Rhondo was not that. It was a punk move, and UNPROFESSIONAL! Congrats to Miami, good luck!

9. trybe29dr - Jun 10, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Theyre douchebags…what else do you expect from KJ and Hondo

• drewzducks - Jun 10, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Sorry…did you Mumble something ?

10. lucky5934 - Jun 10, 2012 at 5:20 AM

I don’t know to many people who would shake the hands of someone they genuinely despise. Yes the correct and mature thing to do would be to demonstrate professionalism post game. I doubt many of the readers on this site would go shake the hands of someone they hate though. I don’t agree with their actions, but at the same time it is not as simple as Kurt makes out to be when you couple the emotional factor with the disdain they have towards Lebron and Wade. I hope they come to their senses and admit their mistakes soon enough though. On a side note I remember the Pistons doing this to the Bulls back in 1991 when the Bulls finally overcame the Pistions, who up until that point were the achilles heel for Jordan and the Bulls. Emotions and disrespect have been a part of the playoffs for years.

• knightrider1755 - Jun 10, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Yep and Jordan got the last laugh on Isiah by not putting on the Dream Team. lol. Payback is a bitch.

• lucky5934 - Jun 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Well, I would like to think the sweep in the Eastern Conference Finals that propelled the Bulls to three straight championships was the dagger that hurt the Pistons more.

• ss3walkman - Jun 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

So true. If this post was never created nobody would have known or even cared to say anything. True if Lebron did it, it would have been a big deal but that’s what you get for airing a “special” called The Decision.

People read into things way too much. They are two of the most emotional players in basketball, not to mention the most along with their coach, that where left in the playoffs. Knowing that they’re era is over is a hard pill to swallow especially as prideful as they are.

And let’s be real.. If Miami would have lost you would have seen Bosh and Lebron leaving the floor crying into the locker room without saying anything.

C’mon son!

• duane888 - Jun 11, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Hard pill to swallow?? Garnett’s been in the league a long time, and alot of NBA players call him dirty and mean. So now he can add “unprofessional” to his resume.

We already know Rondo needs an attitude adjustment. Guess he’s learning from the best.

11. hoodheisman - Jun 10, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Comes down to respect. KG and Rondo will get a mulligan for doing what they did simply because a significant portion of the sports world just doesn’t respect the Heat. This is much “deeper” than hate. LeBron and Wade come across as 2 guys who’s primary motivation is not to win, but to bring attention to themselves. I don’t say that because I “hate” those 2. I say that because I have “no respect” for those 2.

12. tharealjr99 - Jun 10, 2012 at 5:45 AM

Listen Kurt, I don’t begrudge you being a fan of a team. That’s human. This was a hard-fought series and all credit to the Heat for proving their critics wrong. Lebron is a hell of a player and as a C’s fan, I respect the hell out of his game. That said, did you really need to write this post? You feel good about hating on a player like KG in what might have been his last game ever as a parting shot? Lines like “struggling on defense-their calling card,” are cheap shots, and you know you should be better than that.

Fact of the matter is, Lebron is a great enough player that he doesn’t need you to defend him against strawmen like “You are all the exact same people who would have ripped LeBron James as a disrespectful jerk if he did it.” He’s going to the Finals and he earned it. That speaks for itself. If you want to throw shade at passionate guys like Kevin and Rajon because you’re amped about the Heat’s success, then more power to you, but don’t pretend to be a journalist while you do it.

13. spankygreen - Jun 10, 2012 at 5:56 AM

hoodheisman…..explain how Lebron and Wade’s primary motivation is not to win, but to bring attention to themselves……Who are you, and what have you accomplished in your life to where you have the gall to think either of these guys care that you have “no respect” for them. Clearly people I’m sure you have never met……I loved watching the Lakers go against the Celtics, Bird against Magic…..Don’t ever recall in either of those nail biter games that Bird ever shook Magic’s hand after a hotly contested defeat or win for that matter , and sometimes very physical and surely brutal games……..Seems you are still seething about the DECISION……..get over it man, it’s been a couple of years now……

14. acdc363 - Jun 10, 2012 at 6:09 AM

20 bucks says when the heat lose to OKC in the finals Kurt won’t dare call his lover classless when he does the same thing.

15. fastwillie39 - Jun 10, 2012 at 6:22 AM

Dumb article, waste of words, they lost a game and didn’t want to act buddy-buddy with media starved Heat players. End of story

• knightrider1755 - Jun 10, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Even boxers show respect to each other at the end of a fight. It’s called sportsmanship. It is a sore loser who chooses to not acknowledge the winner in a contest.

16. hoodheisman - Jun 10, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Spanky, this isn’t about me or what I’ve done. But I’m a surgeon and I save lives for a living. Get over yourself.

LeBron and Wade are not hard to figure out. Listen to what they, how they say it, and how they act. Magic and Bird were at a different level. 2 great champions who only cared about winning. As for the “decision”, the Heat, and those 2…. I really don’t care. If I ” hated” them, I would be rooting for them to lose. But I don’t care if they win or lose because I flat out don’t respect them. I only clicked this post to read about the Celtics as guys like Garnett and Pierce bring a certain passion to the game that I respect.

Anyways you’re entitled to your opinion… as ignorant as it may be.

• progress2011 - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:46 AM

hoodheisman…….ahahahahaha !!!

YOU’RE A SURGEON……AHAHAHAHA ! Sharing needles with other crackheads, to find a vein, does not make one a surgeon !!!

No “FUNDAMENTAL” basketball loving fan cares about your fake credentials. It earns you nothing !

The fact that you personally hate two dudes (probably because they wouldn’t give you an autograph, when they walked in front of your crackhouse) that only play a sport and are famous and rich for that, damages any potential credibility you would have had.

Ex: I can go on record and say, I actually really-really-really dislike kobe. Not because of his fame, riches or athleticism……BUT because he is a criminal that raped someone. I dislike any criminal but ESPECIALLY those that take advantage of women or children.

You sir are the ignorant one, that hates someone because of what you see on t.v. and what the media has told you.

Go help someone else find a vein, leave “FUNDAMENTAL” b-ball up to those of us that are sober!

17. btwicey - Jun 10, 2012 at 6:43 AM

I love lbj, mostly because a lot don’t. He’s a boss, making plenty of coin and living the dream now playing in a finals series. Keep throwing salt – he loves it.

18. gmsingh - Jun 10, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Seriously? After the game is handed to the Heat by the refs the Celtics are supposed to be congratulatory? I would’ve whipped my weiner out and pissed right on the court. This is a sham.

• lucky5934 - Jun 10, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Can we not have one game where people don’t complain about the refs? The refs didn’t help Bosh hit those 3’s and thus drawing the interior defenders to the outside. Which consequently, allowed Lebron and Wade to drive the lane. I am not a Heat fan and will be the first to admit that. But they earned the win yesterday. You don’t have to like or even respect to Heat to recognize that. Take the blinders off and appreciate that the Celtics made it farther than they probably should have and pushed a team (That many thought would crush them) to the brink in a hard fought 7 game series.

• knightrider1755 - Jun 10, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I thought only Knicks fans blame the refs for everything. Perhaps gmsingh is a Knicks fan. That would explain everything.

• blueintown - Jun 10, 2012 at 8:53 AM

gmsingh – you strike me as the kind of guy who habitually urinates in inappropriate places. No one is forcing you to watch these “rigged” games. Since you are clearly so high on the integrity of the game ( or just integrity in general, for that matter), find something more valuable to do with your precious time.

• gmsingh - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I won’t watch game of the Finals unless the Heat are on the verge of elimination. And even then I’ll only watch if there aren’t some good reruns on instead. This has happened two years in a row. Eventually, I would hope, even the idiot NBA fans will get the message.

I am amazed, though, after what happened to Manny Pacquiao there are still people clueless enough to defend the ‘fairness” of any professional sport.

• blueintown - Jun 12, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I call bullcrap on that one. You’ll watch the majority of every single game. If the Thunder win you’ll hop on here to comment on how dominant they looked, if the Heat win you’ll come on to complain about the officials. Such irony in bemoaning the idiot NBA fan when you are the quintessential idiot NBA fan. Your team losing or a team you dislike winning isn’t ‘unfair’, it’s a display of talent disparity. You sound like an Occupy Wall street protestor sitting in your smelly tent angry because you are poor and stupid.

19. iowahbr - Jun 10, 2012 at 7:08 AM

With all this trash talk on the court you’ll surely see some trash action afterwards.

20. jtchernak - Jun 10, 2012 at 7:29 AM

This has to be another one of Kurts worst articles but really c’mon KG hasn’t shook hands ever before or after for 17 years give me a break Kurt the Miami heat fan

21. giantssb42champs - Jun 10, 2012 at 7:42 AM

STAY CLASSY BOSTON!!!

22. cantonbound13 - Jun 10, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Very LeBronesque. Remember the series he lost vs Orlando? Most Heat fans don’t know about that because they just started following the NBA 2 years ago.

• duane888 - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:05 AM

No. What you mean is Heat fans weren’t Cleveland Cavalier fans.

23. Josh - Jun 10, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Rondo was clearly on the verge of tears making his way back to the locker room. I do’t fault a guy for not wanting to bear his soul on the court in front of thousands of people. He gave it everything he had and was unable to collect himself after the let down. In a few more year maybe he’ll be better at it. Doc Rivers also was about to lose it. He been around a while longer and knows how to hold it in better. Hopefully Rondo can learn from him. I would never fault a guy for giving 110% and then being overcome in the face of defeat. Knowing that Garnett is a very emotional player, I can only assume he was going through the same thing, but about 10 times more intensely. That might be it for him. This is not a big deal.

24. afreak2u - Jun 10, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Who cares what u expect

25. thewitchking45 - Jun 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Don’t really care about this. Ok; it wasn’t very classy but they are not robots. People who play sports on a high level will know this; after you lose a hard fought game, you don’t care about protocols etc. You just want to be alone, away from all the ‘fuzz’. Ray Allen and the other Celtics did shake hands with the Heat players but perhaps he and the other Celtics just deal with it better than KG and Rondo. Don’t make a big deal out of this. It is not worth the time/effort.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches