Jun 9, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
The hype is everywhere — Anthony Davis is the true only franchise player in this draft. He is the reincarnation of Kevin Garnett (wait, KG is still alive?). He is the best big to come out of college in a decade. He pulled Excalibur out of the stone. He shook hands with bigfoot.
Possible No. 2 pick Thomas Robinson is not buying into your hype machine. Or the scouts who rave about Davis. Or the thing about bigfoot.
So when Davis showed up for the NBA Draft Combine wearing a “check my stats” T-shirt Robinson told Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated that everyone should do exactly that.
“If you wanted to check the stats, then I’d be the No. 1 pick easily — if that’s what you want to do,” he said. “I should get one of those shirts. I’ll get a shirt that says, ‘Numbers don’t lie.’ “
Robinson is right, he did have better stats than Davis —17.7 points, 11.9 rebounds per game. But the situations were different, Davis had three other likely lottery picks on his team, Robinson needed to do more for Kansas. Davis also is a better defender, is longer, and… you get the idea.
Besides, the draft is not about who was the best player last season, it’s about projecting who will be the best player three years, even five years from now.
Sorry Mr. Robinson, that will be Davis.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15