Jun 9, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
The hype is everywhere — Anthony Davis is the true only franchise player in this draft. He is the reincarnation of Kevin Garnett (wait, KG is still alive?). He is the best big to come out of college in a decade. He pulled Excalibur out of the stone. He shook hands with bigfoot.
Possible No. 2 pick Thomas Robinson is not buying into your hype machine. Or the scouts who rave about Davis. Or the thing about bigfoot.
So when Davis showed up for the NBA Draft Combine wearing a “check my stats” T-shirt Robinson told Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated that everyone should do exactly that.
“If you wanted to check the stats, then I’d be the No. 1 pick easily — if that’s what you want to do,” he said. “I should get one of those shirts. I’ll get a shirt that says, ‘Numbers don’t lie.’ “
Robinson is right, he did have better stats than Davis —17.7 points, 11.9 rebounds per game. But the situations were different, Davis had three other likely lottery picks on his team, Robinson needed to do more for Kansas. Davis also is a better defender, is longer, and… you get the idea.
Besides, the draft is not about who was the best player last season, it’s about projecting who will be the best player three years, even five years from now.
Sorry Mr. Robinson, that will be Davis.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 0
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 10
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 14
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9