Jun 9, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
The hype is everywhere — Anthony Davis is the true only franchise player in this draft. He is the reincarnation of Kevin Garnett (wait, KG is still alive?). He is the best big to come out of college in a decade. He pulled Excalibur out of the stone. He shook hands with bigfoot.
Possible No. 2 pick Thomas Robinson is not buying into your hype machine. Or the scouts who rave about Davis. Or the thing about bigfoot.
So when Davis showed up for the NBA Draft Combine wearing a “check my stats” T-shirt Robinson told Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated that everyone should do exactly that.
“If you wanted to check the stats, then I’d be the No. 1 pick easily — if that’s what you want to do,” he said. “I should get one of those shirts. I’ll get a shirt that says, ‘Numbers don’t lie.’ “
Robinson is right, he did have better stats than Davis —17.7 points, 11.9 rebounds per game. But the situations were different, Davis had three other likely lottery picks on his team, Robinson needed to do more for Kansas. Davis also is a better defender, is longer, and… you get the idea.
Besides, the draft is not about who was the best player last season, it’s about projecting who will be the best player three years, even five years from now.
Sorry Mr. Robinson, that will be Davis.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 46
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 10
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 15
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23