Jun 9, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
The hype is everywhere — Anthony Davis is the true only franchise player in this draft. He is the reincarnation of Kevin Garnett (wait, KG is still alive?). He is the best big to come out of college in a decade. He pulled Excalibur out of the stone. He shook hands with bigfoot.
Possible No. 2 pick Thomas Robinson is not buying into your hype machine. Or the scouts who rave about Davis. Or the thing about bigfoot.
So when Davis showed up for the NBA Draft Combine wearing a “check my stats” T-shirt Robinson told Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated that everyone should do exactly that.
“If you wanted to check the stats, then I’d be the No. 1 pick easily — if that’s what you want to do,” he said. “I should get one of those shirts. I’ll get a shirt that says, ‘Numbers don’t lie.’ “
Robinson is right, he did have better stats than Davis —17.7 points, 11.9 rebounds per game. But the situations were different, Davis had three other likely lottery picks on his team, Robinson needed to do more for Kansas. Davis also is a better defender, is longer, and… you get the idea.
Besides, the draft is not about who was the best player last season, it’s about projecting who will be the best player three years, even five years from now.
Sorry Mr. Robinson, that will be Davis.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 28
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 26
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48