Jun 9, 2012, 8:01 AM EST
The hype is everywhere — Anthony Davis is the true only franchise player in this draft. He is the reincarnation of Kevin Garnett (wait, KG is still alive?). He is the best big to come out of college in a decade. He pulled Excalibur out of the stone. He shook hands with bigfoot.
Possible No. 2 pick Thomas Robinson is not buying into your hype machine. Or the scouts who rave about Davis. Or the thing about bigfoot.
So when Davis showed up for the NBA Draft Combine wearing a “check my stats” T-shirt Robinson told Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated that everyone should do exactly that.
“If you wanted to check the stats, then I’d be the No. 1 pick easily — if that’s what you want to do,” he said. “I should get one of those shirts. I’ll get a shirt that says, ‘Numbers don’t lie.’ “
Robinson is right, he did have better stats than Davis —17.7 points, 11.9 rebounds per game. But the situations were different, Davis had three other likely lottery picks on his team, Robinson needed to do more for Kansas. Davis also is a better defender, is longer, and… you get the idea.
Besides, the draft is not about who was the best player last season, it’s about projecting who will be the best player three years, even five years from now.
Sorry Mr. Robinson, that will be Davis.
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 6
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 5
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18