Jun 9, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT
No, the Boston Celtics do not have a lottery pick.
(One) East scout expects Rivers to be selected in the Nos. 10-20 range, but an NBA source told Yahoo! Sports that Rivers has a promise late in the draft lottery. The Portland Trail Blazers, Toronto Raptors, Houston Rockets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Phoenix Suns, Washington Wizards and New Orleans Hornets plan to work out Rivers.
Now, there is a report that the Raptors at No. 8 were impressed with Rivers, although that seems high for him. Besides there is buzz about this idea with Toronto’s No. 8 pick — they have looked to trade it and reportedly Phoenix, at No. 13, really loves Dion Waiters, who shut down workouts because of a promise to be taken. The Raptors GM denied making that promise. But if you connect the trade dots…
Still, apparently somebody is high on Rivers, who has the smooth game you expect of a coach’s son but can at times look for his own shot over setting up teammates for better looks.
Just know Rivers will not be a Celtic next season. Austin Rivers, we mean.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 11
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7