Jun 9, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT
No, the Boston Celtics do not have a lottery pick.
(One) East scout expects Rivers to be selected in the Nos. 10-20 range, but an NBA source told Yahoo! Sports that Rivers has a promise late in the draft lottery. The Portland Trail Blazers, Toronto Raptors, Houston Rockets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Phoenix Suns, Washington Wizards and New Orleans Hornets plan to work out Rivers.
Now, there is a report that the Raptors at No. 8 were impressed with Rivers, although that seems high for him. Besides there is buzz about this idea with Toronto’s No. 8 pick — they have looked to trade it and reportedly Phoenix, at No. 13, really loves Dion Waiters, who shut down workouts because of a promise to be taken. The Raptors GM denied making that promise. But if you connect the trade dots…
Still, apparently somebody is high on Rivers, who has the smooth game you expect of a coach’s son but can at times look for his own shot over setting up teammates for better looks.
Just know Rivers will not be a Celtic next season. Austin Rivers, we mean.
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 6
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22