Jun 9, 2012, 9:01 PM EST
No, the Boston Celtics do not have a lottery pick.
(One) East scout expects Rivers to be selected in the Nos. 10-20 range, but an NBA source told Yahoo! Sports that Rivers has a promise late in the draft lottery. The Portland Trail Blazers, Toronto Raptors, Houston Rockets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Phoenix Suns, Washington Wizards and New Orleans Hornets plan to work out Rivers.
Now, there is a report that the Raptors at No. 8 were impressed with Rivers, although that seems high for him. Besides there is buzz about this idea with Toronto’s No. 8 pick — they have looked to trade it and reportedly Phoenix, at No. 13, really loves Dion Waiters, who shut down workouts because of a promise to be taken. The Raptors GM denied making that promise. But if you connect the trade dots…
Still, apparently somebody is high on Rivers, who has the smooth game you expect of a coach’s son but can at times look for his own shot over setting up teammates for better looks.
Just know Rivers will not be a Celtic next season. Austin Rivers, we mean.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 13: Talking Asik, Gasol trades plus NBA Draft with Rob Dauster 0
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 17
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 6
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 2
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 26
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (51)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)