Jun 9, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT
No, the Boston Celtics do not have a lottery pick.
(One) East scout expects Rivers to be selected in the Nos. 10-20 range, but an NBA source told Yahoo! Sports that Rivers has a promise late in the draft lottery. The Portland Trail Blazers, Toronto Raptors, Houston Rockets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Phoenix Suns, Washington Wizards and New Orleans Hornets plan to work out Rivers.
Now, there is a report that the Raptors at No. 8 were impressed with Rivers, although that seems high for him. Besides there is buzz about this idea with Toronto’s No. 8 pick — they have looked to trade it and reportedly Phoenix, at No. 13, really loves Dion Waiters, who shut down workouts because of a promise to be taken. The Raptors GM denied making that promise. But if you connect the trade dots…
Still, apparently somebody is high on Rivers, who has the smooth game you expect of a coach’s son but can at times look for his own shot over setting up teammates for better looks.
Just know Rivers will not be a Celtic next season. Austin Rivers, we mean.
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed to, team to stay in Milwaukee 7
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 13
- 2014 PBT Awards: Most Improved Player 17
- Tuesday NBA grades: Chris Paul looks playoff ready 1
- Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, Knicks shut him down for season 14