Jun 9, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT
No, the Boston Celtics do not have a lottery pick.
(One) East scout expects Rivers to be selected in the Nos. 10-20 range, but an NBA source told Yahoo! Sports that Rivers has a promise late in the draft lottery. The Portland Trail Blazers, Toronto Raptors, Houston Rockets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Phoenix Suns, Washington Wizards and New Orleans Hornets plan to work out Rivers.
Now, there is a report that the Raptors at No. 8 were impressed with Rivers, although that seems high for him. Besides there is buzz about this idea with Toronto’s No. 8 pick — they have looked to trade it and reportedly Phoenix, at No. 13, really loves Dion Waiters, who shut down workouts because of a promise to be taken. The Raptors GM denied making that promise. But if you connect the trade dots…
Still, apparently somebody is high on Rivers, who has the smooth game you expect of a coach’s son but can at times look for his own shot over setting up teammates for better looks.
Just know Rivers will not be a Celtic next season. Austin Rivers, we mean.
- What kind of coach is Chicago getting with Fred Hoiberg? 1
- PBT Extra: Finals preview, how good are new and improved Cavaliers? 7
- Shaq would take Kobe Bryant over LeBron James because of “killer instinct” 72
- PBT Podcast: NBA Finals breakdown, predictions 4
- Cavaliers rate well when adjusting for playoff rotations. Warriors rate better 1
- LeBron James vs. Stephen Curry: More than meets the eye 18
- Kevin Love on if he plans to play next season for the Cavaliers: “Yes, sir” 27
- Pelicans will play faster, lean on Anthony Davis more under Alvin Gentry 18