Jun 8, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
This summer, everyone from the 2009 NBA Draft class is eligible to have their rookie contract extension. For a guy like No. 1 overall pick Blake Griffin it’s a no-brainer. It’s a no-brainer for No. 2 pick Hasheem Thabeet, too, just for a very different reason.
But what about Tyreke Evans? The Sacramento rookie of the year in 2010 who has since seen his game stagnate?
Sacramento is going to wait, according to a report in the Sacramento Bee.
The Kings are crowded on the wings and depending on how the draft falls they could be looking at taking another wing player — Harrison Barnes, Bradley Beal — at the No. 5 spot in this draft.
Waiting is the smart thing for the Kings to do — you need to see how Evans develops. Or doesn’t. You need to access who is going to be the future on the wings to go with DeMarcus Cousins in the paint.
The bigger question for the Kings really is what kind of team are they going to be, what is their system, and how does Evans fit into that. This has been a screwed up team for a couple of seasons and part of Evans regression is about how he is used — he can attack with the ball in his hands, but how do you best use him?
The Kings can afford to take some time getting there with Evans. You can always extend Evans later if you want to.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 37
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?