Jun 8, 2012, 8:40 AM EDT
The way Boston laid an egg in Game 6, not a lot of fan bases would have stuck around to the end. Plenty would have mixed in a smattering of boos.
But Celtics fans did the opposite. The ones that remained at the end of a crushing loss broke into a four-minute long “Let’s go Celtics” chant. The Celtics noticed, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
“Did you hear our crowd the last three minutes of the game?” (coach Doc) Rivers asked to no one media member in particular. “What other crowd in the NBA does that? It’s a terrific place to play. The fans were unbelievable. They did their part tonight. We just didn’t do ours.”
Added Paul Pierce: “We have the best fans in the world. Down 20, at home, in the playoffs, and they cheer us off the court. And that’s just awesome. That’s why we have the best fans in the world.”
By the way, if you thought this gesture was cool by the Celtics fans you can no longer mock “good job, good effort” kid. Boston was the same thing on a bigger scale.
(Hat tip to Eye On Basketball for the video.)
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 6
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 10
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 32
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 8