Jun 8, 2012, 4:11 PM EDT
Tom Penn and Kevin Pritchard were a team in Portland — Pritchard was the face of the general manager role and he was the player/personnel specialist, Tom Penn was the cap guru who understood both basketball and business.
In the last few days, Penn’s name has come up a few places as a guy seriously in the running to be the next general manager of the Orlando Magic. The latest is this from Gery Woelfel of the Journal-Times in Wisconsin.
I’m hearing Tom Penn is legit GM candidate for Orlando.
Penn is currently employed by ESPN and was at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago for them.
Over at CBSSports.com, Ken Berger not only says Penn is “legit” he wonders if Orlando would reunite Pritchard and Penn again, which would certainly be interesting move by them. And potentially brilliant.
It still seems highly unlikely that Orlando is going to keep Dwight Howard, so you need a GM who understands how to make large, complex trades work, and get the best talent back to Orlando he can. Penn fits that mold.
Just something to watch.
- LeBron’s big night helps Cavs recover to tie series with Bulls 8
- Chris Paul out Game 2 against Rockets 1
- Report: Bulls’ Jimmy Butler wins Most Improved Player 5
- PBT Extra: Mike Conley changes series, but Warriors will start to hit shots again 4
- Last summer Blake Griffin talked to Tim Duncan about leadership 7
- PBT Extra: Will anyone step up and be third scorer for Cavaliers in Game 2? 19
- Doc Rivers on whether Chris Paul plays in Game 2 vs. Rockets: ‘Right now, I just don’t think so’ 4
- Tony ‘First Team All-Defense’ Allen and Mike ‘Masked Assassin’ Conley lead Grizzlies to Game 2 win over Warriors 18