Jun 8, 2012, 4:11 PM EST
Tom Penn and Kevin Pritchard were a team in Portland — Pritchard was the face of the general manager role and he was the player/personnel specialist, Tom Penn was the cap guru who understood both basketball and business.
In the last few days, Penn’s name has come up a few places as a guy seriously in the running to be the next general manager of the Orlando Magic. The latest is this from Gery Woelfel of the Journal-Times in Wisconsin.
I’m hearing Tom Penn is legit GM candidate for Orlando.
Penn is currently employed by ESPN and was at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago for them.
Over at CBSSports.com, Ken Berger not only says Penn is “legit” he wonders if Orlando would reunite Pritchard and Penn again, which would certainly be interesting move by them. And potentially brilliant.
It still seems highly unlikely that Orlando is going to keep Dwight Howard, so you need a GM who understands how to make large, complex trades work, and get the best talent back to Orlando he can. Penn fits that mold.
Just something to watch.
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 14
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 7
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16