Jun 8, 2012, 4:11 PM EST
Tom Penn and Kevin Pritchard were a team in Portland — Pritchard was the face of the general manager role and he was the player/personnel specialist, Tom Penn was the cap guru who understood both basketball and business.
In the last few days, Penn’s name has come up a few places as a guy seriously in the running to be the next general manager of the Orlando Magic. The latest is this from Gery Woelfel of the Journal-Times in Wisconsin.
I’m hearing Tom Penn is legit GM candidate for Orlando.
Penn is currently employed by ESPN and was at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago for them.
Over at CBSSports.com, Ken Berger not only says Penn is “legit” he wonders if Orlando would reunite Pritchard and Penn again, which would certainly be interesting move by them. And potentially brilliant.
It still seems highly unlikely that Orlando is going to keep Dwight Howard, so you need a GM who understands how to make large, complex trades work, and get the best talent back to Orlando he can. Penn fits that mold.
Just something to watch.
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 12
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2