Jun 8, 2012, 4:11 PM EST
Tom Penn and Kevin Pritchard were a team in Portland — Pritchard was the face of the general manager role and he was the player/personnel specialist, Tom Penn was the cap guru who understood both basketball and business.
In the last few days, Penn’s name has come up a few places as a guy seriously in the running to be the next general manager of the Orlando Magic. The latest is this from Gery Woelfel of the Journal-Times in Wisconsin.
I’m hearing Tom Penn is legit GM candidate for Orlando.
Penn is currently employed by ESPN and was at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago for them.
Over at CBSSports.com, Ken Berger not only says Penn is “legit” he wonders if Orlando would reunite Pritchard and Penn again, which would certainly be interesting move by them. And potentially brilliant.
It still seems highly unlikely that Orlando is going to keep Dwight Howard, so you need a GM who understands how to make large, complex trades work, and get the best talent back to Orlando he can. Penn fits that mold.
Just something to watch.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 9
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 15
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 56
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20