Jun 8, 2012, 4:11 PM EST
Tom Penn and Kevin Pritchard were a team in Portland — Pritchard was the face of the general manager role and he was the player/personnel specialist, Tom Penn was the cap guru who understood both basketball and business.
In the last few days, Penn’s name has come up a few places as a guy seriously in the running to be the next general manager of the Orlando Magic. The latest is this from Gery Woelfel of the Journal-Times in Wisconsin.
I’m hearing Tom Penn is legit GM candidate for Orlando.
Penn is currently employed by ESPN and was at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago for them.
Over at CBSSports.com, Ken Berger not only says Penn is “legit” he wonders if Orlando would reunite Pritchard and Penn again, which would certainly be interesting move by them. And potentially brilliant.
It still seems highly unlikely that Orlando is going to keep Dwight Howard, so you need a GM who understands how to make large, complex trades work, and get the best talent back to Orlando he can. Penn fits that mold.
Just something to watch.
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 17
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 15
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42
- Extra Pass: Golden State Warriors defending at historically high level 5