Jun 8, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT
Manny Pacquiao already had plans for Saturday night and the Celtics screwed them up.
One of boxing’s biggest draws is set to fight Timothy Bradley at the MGM in Las Vegas on Saturday night, defending his WBO welterweight championship. About 16,000 in house in Vegas, countless more at home watching PPV.
And like a lot of other Celtics fans, Pacquiao suddenly had a conflict when the Heat rolled the Celtics Thursday night in Game 6 to set up a Game 7 Saturday night in Miami.
Fight promoter Bob Arum stepped in to bail Pacquiao out — the main event in Vegas will not start until after the final buzzer sounds in Miami, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
“Now Manny, the Heat, the Celtics and sports fans watching the basketball game won’t have to make a choice between events,” said Arum, who added that the undercard fights would begin at 9 p.m. “They will be able to watch both.”
Doc Rivers, what do you think of that?
“He’s a Celtics fan. What do you expect?” Rivers said. “Pretty cool, though. That’s cool.”
If the Celtics are going to win Game 7, it’s going to have to be a more physical contest than the one Pacquiao is in.
And if Pacquiao loses, he can just blame LeBron James. Whatever the outcome of the game. Everyone is going to be blaming him for something anyway.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 17
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 12
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 31
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 13
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 20
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (104)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead