Jun 8, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT
Manny Pacquiao already had plans for Saturday night and the Celtics screwed them up.
One of boxing’s biggest draws is set to fight Timothy Bradley at the MGM in Las Vegas on Saturday night, defending his WBO welterweight championship. About 16,000 in house in Vegas, countless more at home watching PPV.
And like a lot of other Celtics fans, Pacquiao suddenly had a conflict when the Heat rolled the Celtics Thursday night in Game 6 to set up a Game 7 Saturday night in Miami.
Fight promoter Bob Arum stepped in to bail Pacquiao out — the main event in Vegas will not start until after the final buzzer sounds in Miami, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
“Now Manny, the Heat, the Celtics and sports fans watching the basketball game won’t have to make a choice between events,” said Arum, who added that the undercard fights would begin at 9 p.m. “They will be able to watch both.”
Doc Rivers, what do you think of that?
“He’s a Celtics fan. What do you expect?” Rivers said. “Pretty cool, though. That’s cool.”
If the Celtics are going to win Game 7, it’s going to have to be a more physical contest than the one Pacquiao is in.
And if Pacquiao loses, he can just blame LeBron James. Whatever the outcome of the game. Everyone is going to be blaming him for something anyway.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50