Jun 7, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
When a draft prospect shuts down his workouts, it means he got a promise from some team to take him.
It usually doesn’t happen this early in the process. However, that’s what Syracuse two-guard Dion Waiters has done, tweets Marc Spears of Yahoo.
Syracuse guard Dion Waiters canceled all team workouts and interviews at NBA pre-draft camp, source tells Y! Sports
Waiters met with teams for interviews on the first night of the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago then shut everything down on Thursday. There have been questions about his character and commitment to defense, but he must have impressed someone.
He got a promise. We don’t know from whom (yet), but he got one or he wouldn’t shut it down like this. He is a guy that has been all over draft boards — while some have him in the top 10 Draft Express has him falling out of the lottery to No. 17. But Top 10 seems high for a guy who was the sixth man on his college team.
Waiters is a bit small for an NBA two guard but as anyone who watched Syracuse last year can tell you he can flat out get to the rim. He attacks and is a strong guy on the drive. He lines to make plays in transition and attack in that setting. He has physical tools (although at 6’4” is a bit small for an NBA two guard).
If he can develop a steady jumper he can provide real value as a scorer in the NBA. And apparently somebody thinks he can.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 1
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record