Jun 7, 2012, 11:29 AM EST
No, this does not mean Phil Jackson is coming as some kind of magical consultant to solve all the Magic’s problems.
It simply means Brian Shaw is a coach whose time has come — he is the frontrunner to land the Orlando Magic job, reports the Orlando Sentinel as part of an entire article ripping the Jackson idea.
Shaw, by all accounts, is already the leading candidate for the Magic coaching job.
First off, the article is right — the Jackson idea is terrible. Being a good coach and being a good evaluator of talent are different things, as many coaches turned GMs have proven in ugly fashion. Scottie Pippen as assistant coach because… why? This just sounds like Sam Vincent trying to work a deal, and when it clearly was falling short it got leaked to see if there could be public support generated to push it. That’s it.
Shaw, however, deserves a chance. He was Jackson’s lead assistant and the guy Kobe Bryant and the other Lakers players wanted to get the job in L.A. (He didn’t because of a purging of all things Jackson from the organization, save the banners he brought them.) Shaw has been the right hand man of Frank Vogel in Indiana this season, a team that exceeded expectations. He’s a former player who paid his dues. He deserves a shot.
What this report may really do is spur the Bobcats or other teams that have Shaw high on their list to act fast.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 2
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1