Jun 7, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
No, this does not mean Phil Jackson is coming as some kind of magical consultant to solve all the Magic’s problems.
It simply means Brian Shaw is a coach whose time has come — he is the frontrunner to land the Orlando Magic job, reports the Orlando Sentinel as part of an entire article ripping the Jackson idea.
Shaw, by all accounts, is already the leading candidate for the Magic coaching job.
First off, the article is right — the Jackson idea is terrible. Being a good coach and being a good evaluator of talent are different things, as many coaches turned GMs have proven in ugly fashion. Scottie Pippen as assistant coach because… why? This just sounds like Sam Vincent trying to work a deal, and when it clearly was falling short it got leaked to see if there could be public support generated to push it. That’s it.
Shaw, however, deserves a chance. He was Jackson’s lead assistant and the guy Kobe Bryant and the other Lakers players wanted to get the job in L.A. (He didn’t because of a purging of all things Jackson from the organization, save the banners he brought them.) Shaw has been the right hand man of Frank Vogel in Indiana this season, a team that exceeded expectations. He’s a former player who paid his dues. He deserves a shot.
What this report may really do is spur the Bobcats or other teams that have Shaw high on their list to act fast.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 22
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 18
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80