Jun 7, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
No, this does not mean Phil Jackson is coming as some kind of magical consultant to solve all the Magic’s problems.
It simply means Brian Shaw is a coach whose time has come — he is the frontrunner to land the Orlando Magic job, reports the Orlando Sentinel as part of an entire article ripping the Jackson idea.
Shaw, by all accounts, is already the leading candidate for the Magic coaching job.
First off, the article is right — the Jackson idea is terrible. Being a good coach and being a good evaluator of talent are different things, as many coaches turned GMs have proven in ugly fashion. Scottie Pippen as assistant coach because… why? This just sounds like Sam Vincent trying to work a deal, and when it clearly was falling short it got leaked to see if there could be public support generated to push it. That’s it.
Shaw, however, deserves a chance. He was Jackson’s lead assistant and the guy Kobe Bryant and the other Lakers players wanted to get the job in L.A. (He didn’t because of a purging of all things Jackson from the organization, save the banners he brought them.) Shaw has been the right hand man of Frank Vogel in Indiana this season, a team that exceeded expectations. He’s a former player who paid his dues. He deserves a shot.
What this report may really do is spur the Bobcats or other teams that have Shaw high on their list to act fast.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 17
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8