Jun 7, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
No, this does not mean Phil Jackson is coming as some kind of magical consultant to solve all the Magic’s problems.
It simply means Brian Shaw is a coach whose time has come — he is the frontrunner to land the Orlando Magic job, reports the Orlando Sentinel as part of an entire article ripping the Jackson idea.
Shaw, by all accounts, is already the leading candidate for the Magic coaching job.
First off, the article is right — the Jackson idea is terrible. Being a good coach and being a good evaluator of talent are different things, as many coaches turned GMs have proven in ugly fashion. Scottie Pippen as assistant coach because… why? This just sounds like Sam Vincent trying to work a deal, and when it clearly was falling short it got leaked to see if there could be public support generated to push it. That’s it.
Shaw, however, deserves a chance. He was Jackson’s lead assistant and the guy Kobe Bryant and the other Lakers players wanted to get the job in L.A. (He didn’t because of a purging of all things Jackson from the organization, save the banners he brought them.) Shaw has been the right hand man of Frank Vogel in Indiana this season, a team that exceeded expectations. He’s a former player who paid his dues. He deserves a shot.
What this report may really do is spur the Bobcats or other teams that have Shaw high on their list to act fast.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 10
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 30
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 84
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 54
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4