Jun 7, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
No, this does not mean Phil Jackson is coming as some kind of magical consultant to solve all the Magic’s problems.
It simply means Brian Shaw is a coach whose time has come — he is the frontrunner to land the Orlando Magic job, reports the Orlando Sentinel as part of an entire article ripping the Jackson idea.
Shaw, by all accounts, is already the leading candidate for the Magic coaching job.
First off, the article is right — the Jackson idea is terrible. Being a good coach and being a good evaluator of talent are different things, as many coaches turned GMs have proven in ugly fashion. Scottie Pippen as assistant coach because… why? This just sounds like Sam Vincent trying to work a deal, and when it clearly was falling short it got leaked to see if there could be public support generated to push it. That’s it.
Shaw, however, deserves a chance. He was Jackson’s lead assistant and the guy Kobe Bryant and the other Lakers players wanted to get the job in L.A. (He didn’t because of a purging of all things Jackson from the organization, save the banners he brought them.) Shaw has been the right hand man of Frank Vogel in Indiana this season, a team that exceeded expectations. He’s a former player who paid his dues. He deserves a shot.
What this report may really do is spur the Bobcats or other teams that have Shaw high on their list to act fast.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 4
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 11
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 45
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60