Jun 7, 2012, 9:11 AM EDT
Twitter was all over it as soon as the moment above was aired — “good job, good effort” quickly became a punch line, the joking t-shirt, an email signature line, a sarcastic joke among basketball fans.
But it wasn’t a joke to 9-year-old Jack Meyer who was saying it.
In a cynical world where we would only have said that sarcastically, to be a Celtics troll on a Heat team that just dropped Game 5 at home, this young boy was being a true fan. You know, like you used to be once. He loves his team and was trying to be supportive in their darkest hour. He was genuine.
“For those people who thought I was being sarcastic, you’re wrong,” Meyer said at his family’s Coral Gables home Wednesday. “I was being enthusiastic. I was saying the truth. I would never hurt the Heat’s feelings like that.”
“Based on their expressions, they didn’t seem happy being beaten by four points. I wanted to cheer them up,” he said. “I really meant it.”
There was a time when we all were pure fans like that, a window that now may be shortened by the Internet. But I, for one, hope Meyer holds on to that as long as he can. The sports world — and the world in general — could use more of that and fewer cynical trolls.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record