Meet the “good job, good effort” kid. He was being genuine.

Jun 7, 2012, 9:11 AM EDT

Twitter was all over it as soon as the moment above was aired — “good job, good effort” quickly became a punch line, the joking t-shirt, an email signature line, a sarcastic joke among basketball fans.

But it wasn’t a joke to 9-year-old Jack Meyer who was saying it.

In a cynical world where we would only have said that sarcastically, to be a Celtics troll on a Heat team that just dropped Game 5 at home, this young boy was being a true fan. You know, like you used to be once. He loves his team and was trying to be supportive in their darkest hour. He was genuine.

The Sun-Sentinel found and caught up with Meyer.

“For those people who thought I was being sarcastic, you’re wrong,” Meyer said at his family’s Coral Gables home Wednesday. “I was being enthusiastic. I was saying the truth. I would never hurt the Heat’s feelings like that.”

“Based on their expressions, they didn’t seem happy being beaten by four points. I wanted to cheer them up,” he said. “I really meant it.”

There was a time when we all were pure fans like that, a window that now may be shortened by the Internet. But I, for one, hope Meyer holds on to that as long as he can. The sports world — and the world in general — could use more of that and fewer cynical trolls.

1. ss3walkman - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Next!

• edweird0 - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Douche

2. acdc363 - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Okay.

3. chiadam - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Good for him. There are two things fans can do when their teams are down: kick them or try to pick them up. The good fans try to pick them up.

4. lucidsportsfan - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I’m sure the kid was being honest, but for Celtics fans it’s way more fun for us to mock it! http://www.lucidsportsfan.com/2012_06_03_archive.html#1033465879257180847

5. abchome - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Is he really nine years old? Sound so diplomatic, way much more matured than many NBA players…

• usernamethatdoesnotalreadyexist - Jun 7, 2012 at 10:17 AM

abchome, I was thinking the exact same thing. Seems like a bright kid. I’m pretty sure I didn’t use the word “enthusiastic” at nine years old.

6. loungefly74 - Jun 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM

good for the kid. I love it. makes me think i need to be less harsh on the “haters”…

7. someidiotfromouthereintheprojects - Jun 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

i’d be proud of that kid if he were my son. more fans should be more like that kid. he is a balls to the wall pure fan. supportive, a good sport, loyal, and appreciative, all during a time when it could have been acceptable for him to have been a whiny jerk like most of us adults are when our team loses.

the future is bright for that dude, and kudos to his parents.

8. raidmagic - Jun 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Good fan, too bad more guys can’t be like that.

9. diablito0402 - Jun 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Really, i thought it was southbeachtalent who was saying that!

• CJ - Jun 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM

They said 9 year old, didn’t they? Sounds about right.

• southbeachtalent - Jun 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I’m 12…

10. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

That’s the fact, Jack!

11. scalfor3 - Jun 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM

the best part of that video is when the camera follows lebron into the tunnel, but you can still hear “good job! good effort!” echoing in the background. hahahahahahahah

• ultimatecardinalwarrior - Jun 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM

It was like a weird piece of video art. If only everything else went silent and we jump into LeBron’s head with this kid saying “good job, good effort” echoing forever and ever.

12. dirtybird2020 - Jun 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Haha

13. highlander24 - Jun 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Cool, but I wonder if he’ll be so optimistic after they lose the series and he finally realizes that they do, in fact, suck.

• southbeachtalent - Jun 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Top 4 team in the league and they suck? hmmmm

14. gmsingh - Jun 7, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I feel good about this story. LeBron is happy with his effort, the kid is happy–who the hell needs a trip to the Finals anyway?

15. ultimatecardinalwarrior - Jun 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Of course he was being genuine. He’s six freaking years old. I don’t know any six year olds that understand that level of irony. I just hope he grows up and someday understands why we all think it was so funny.

16. trybe29dr - Jun 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM

If im the heat i fly him and his family out to Boston…

• tampajoey - Jun 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Yeah, the Heat will need to be cheered up after losing the series in Boston tonight.

17. theralph2012 - Jun 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I would not be proud if this were my child, Good effort? Trotting back on d is not good effort. There are only two people in life, winners and losers. And the latter should never be praised.

18. lakerluver - Jun 7, 2012 at 7:18 PM

He has more heart and passion than the “Little 3″.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches