Jun 7, 2012, 3:12 PM EDT
J.R. Smith has a $2.5 million option with the Knicks, and at that price New York could use his firepower off the bench (erratic though it may be).
The question for him is simply this: How much can he make elsewhere? He is a New Jersey native and loves NYC, but like the rest of us if you’re willing to double his salary he’ll move wherever you need.
“I want to be here so I’m not really putting too much emphasis on it,” he said. “I got money now. It’s all about winning, and whatever is the best situation and the best fit really. If all things are equal, I’m staying.”
We will have the answer inside of three weeks, when Smith has to make his decision. Right now his agent is working the phones, checking out back channels and seeing what kind of offers will be out there on the open market.
My guess, he stays put. Teams are being pretty frugal with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement out there. But one way or the other we’ll know before the end of the month.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11