Jun 7, 2012, 3:12 PM EST
J.R. Smith has a $2.5 million option with the Knicks, and at that price New York could use his firepower off the bench (erratic though it may be).
The question for him is simply this: How much can he make elsewhere? He is a New Jersey native and loves NYC, but like the rest of us if you’re willing to double his salary he’ll move wherever you need.
“I want to be here so I’m not really putting too much emphasis on it,” he said. “I got money now. It’s all about winning, and whatever is the best situation and the best fit really. If all things are equal, I’m staying.”
We will have the answer inside of three weeks, when Smith has to make his decision. Right now his agent is working the phones, checking out back channels and seeing what kind of offers will be out there on the open market.
My guess, he stays put. Teams are being pretty frugal with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement out there. But one way or the other we’ll know before the end of the month.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 14
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 36
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 52
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28