Jun 7, 2012, 3:12 PM EDT
J.R. Smith has a $2.5 million option with the Knicks, and at that price New York could use his firepower off the bench (erratic though it may be).
The question for him is simply this: How much can he make elsewhere? He is a New Jersey native and loves NYC, but like the rest of us if you’re willing to double his salary he’ll move wherever you need.
“I want to be here so I’m not really putting too much emphasis on it,” he said. “I got money now. It’s all about winning, and whatever is the best situation and the best fit really. If all things are equal, I’m staying.”
We will have the answer inside of three weeks, when Smith has to make his decision. Right now his agent is working the phones, checking out back channels and seeing what kind of offers will be out there on the open market.
My guess, he stays put. Teams are being pretty frugal with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement out there. But one way or the other we’ll know before the end of the month.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 8
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 34
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 82
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19