Jun 7, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
When Lakers’ fans dream, they dream big. With it clear they needed some changes to the roster after getting bounced in the second round for the second consecutive year, they thought big moves, not tweaks.
One of those big moves — get free agent Deron Williams. He fills a need at the point guard spot and would instantly become the second best (at worst) player on the team.
(The Lakers) have very little to spend on free agents because they are so far over the luxury-tax threshold. Their biggest tool is the $3-million “mini” mid-level exception.
“I know they don’t have any money to just go out and sign me. It’ll have to be some kind of [trade],” Williams said Wednesday at the E3 Expo, where he promoted the video game “NBA Baller Beats….”
As for Odom, the NBA is standing firm on the relatively new rule that players cannot return to their old teams for a full year after being traded, a change made in the new collective-bargaining agreement last December.
That means Odom cannot return to the Lakers until December, a couple months into the season. Once Dallas either buys out his contract or trades him to another team that buys out his deal (he is scheduled to make $8.2 million but can be bought out for $2.4) Odom will be free to sign anywhere. Except the Lakers. That’s the new rule part of the new labor agreement.
As for trading for Deron Williams, the Nets are not going to do that for Pau Gasol. They might be tempted for Andrew Bynum, but what the Nets really want to do is get a big name player (Dwight Howard) and keep Williams in house. If it’s a sign-and-trade (where Williams now cannot make more than just signing as a free agent) is he going to choose the Lakers and being in Kobe’s shadow over getting to go to his native Dallas and pair with Dirk Nowitzki for the same money?
Not likely. But keep dreaming big, Lakers fans.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (60)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million