Jun 6, 2012, 8:18 PM EDT
Toronto has some players in place, a coach, but they also have a distinct need — they want an established front line wing player. They have set their sights high.
And they will give up their No. 8 overall pick to get it. So reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
And that’s why the Raptors have already made it known to rival teams that their lottery pick on June 28 — No. 8 overall — is available to a trade partner that can provide the elite small forward they seek, according to sources close to the situation.
With a slew of league execs having converged on Chicago this week for the NBA’s annual pre-draft camp, sources told ESPN.com that the Raptors have at least two known trade targets: Memphis swingman Rudy Gay and Philadelphia’s Andre Iguodala.
It’s going to take more than the No. 8 pick to get those guys. Now, if as Stein suggests, you are talking about throwing in Jose Calderon or Ed Davis… you’re still not there. But you’re getting closer.
Toronto sounds like a team looking to be aggressive this summer. Last season they were a team that showed improvement and if they can keep key guys like Andrea Bargnaini healthy and get DeMar DeRozan more consistent they may be on to something. Plus, they needed a big man but they have young 7-footer Jonas Valanciunas (last draft’s No. 5 pick) coming.
All they need is that wing player.
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 0
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 28
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16