Jun 6, 2012, 1:28 PM EDT
One half of the report out of the San Francisco Chronicle makes a lot of sense — Golden State needs an upgrade at the three spot and they have a lot of assets heading into the draft to make a move.
But the second half of this makes no sense to me.
The San Francisco Chronicle took stock of where the Warriors are headed into the NBA Draft Combine that starts Wednesday in Chicago.
The Warriors ideally would like to deal the No. 7 pick, one of their selections in the 30s and Dorell Wright for an upgrade at small forward. Then, they could use the remaining pick (No. 30 or 35) on a big man, like St. Bonaventure’s Andrew Nicholson, and have the mid-level exception to offer an experienced free-agent point guard.
The Warriors think Andre Miller might have played his way over mid-level money with a strong playoff showing, but they believe they have a good chance at landing Jason Kidd. If Deron Williams signs with Dallas, the Warriors can tempt Kidd with the mid-level exception and offer the Bay Area native a front-office job after he retires. They’d also consider Kirk Hinrich and Raymond Felton, though those players might hesitate at being regarded as backups.
Does the No. 7 pick, the No. 35 pick and Wright get you in the conversation for someone like Rudy Gay? Probably not. But it can get them in some solid small forward conversations. It’s a good idea to fill a weakness. (Their starters are set at the other spots if healthy: Stephen Curry at the point, Klay Thompson at the two, David Lee at the four and Andrew Bogut at the five.)
But Jason Kidd?
Kidd has said he wants to get paid and he wants to chase another ring (two things that would not go together). You’re going to give him, at his skills decline with age, the mid-level exception for a couple years to come off the bench? Why get older and slower? Why not develop a young point guard to fill that role? Someone like Jeremy Lin… oh, that’s right. Sorry. But you get the idea — look forward not backward.
My guess is the Warriors plan doesn’t really go anything like this.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 4
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 16
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6