Jun 6, 2012, 3:13 PM EDT
Greg Stiemsma is moving up in the world. Fast.
The Boston backup big man as well as New Orleans’ Lance Thomas have been added to the USA Select team, the team of younger players that practices against the Team USA roster to help them prepare for the Olympics. They will get together July 6 in Las Vegas for the start of training camp.
“We made a commitment back in October that we would select two players from the 2011 USA Pan American Games Team and invite them to be part of the 2012 USA Select Team,” said Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball chairman, in a released statement. “Greg (Stiemsma) and Lance (Thomas) were valuable contributors to the USA’s bronze medal showing at the 2011 Pan American Games and both earned their way on to NBA rosters this season and demonstrated they can contribute at that level. I’m pleased to have both players join the USA Select Team.”
Ryan Anderson, the Orlando stretch four, withdrew his name from the team. No reason was given, although he is a restricted free agent and sometimes people on the verge of a new contract do not want to be put in a situation where they could get injured and risk the payday.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9