Jun 6, 2012, 3:13 PM EST
Greg Stiemsma is moving up in the world. Fast.
The Boston backup big man as well as New Orleans’ Lance Thomas have been added to the USA Select team, the team of younger players that practices against the Team USA roster to help them prepare for the Olympics. They will get together July 6 in Las Vegas for the start of training camp.
“We made a commitment back in October that we would select two players from the 2011 USA Pan American Games Team and invite them to be part of the 2012 USA Select Team,” said Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball chairman, in a released statement. “Greg (Stiemsma) and Lance (Thomas) were valuable contributors to the USA’s bronze medal showing at the 2011 Pan American Games and both earned their way on to NBA rosters this season and demonstrated they can contribute at that level. I’m pleased to have both players join the USA Select Team.”
Ryan Anderson, the Orlando stretch four, withdrew his name from the team. No reason was given, although he is a restricted free agent and sometimes people on the verge of a new contract do not want to be put in a situation where they could get injured and risk the payday.
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 0
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 5
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23