Jun 6, 2012, 3:13 PM EDT
Greg Stiemsma is moving up in the world. Fast.
The Boston backup big man as well as New Orleans’ Lance Thomas have been added to the USA Select team, the team of younger players that practices against the Team USA roster to help them prepare for the Olympics. They will get together July 6 in Las Vegas for the start of training camp.
“We made a commitment back in October that we would select two players from the 2011 USA Pan American Games Team and invite them to be part of the 2012 USA Select Team,” said Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball chairman, in a released statement. “Greg (Stiemsma) and Lance (Thomas) were valuable contributors to the USA’s bronze medal showing at the 2011 Pan American Games and both earned their way on to NBA rosters this season and demonstrated they can contribute at that level. I’m pleased to have both players join the USA Select Team.”
Ryan Anderson, the Orlando stretch four, withdrew his name from the team. No reason was given, although he is a restricted free agent and sometimes people on the verge of a new contract do not want to be put in a situation where they could get injured and risk the payday.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20