Jun 6, 2012, 3:13 PM EDT
Greg Stiemsma is moving up in the world. Fast.
The Boston backup big man as well as New Orleans’ Lance Thomas have been added to the USA Select team, the team of younger players that practices against the Team USA roster to help them prepare for the Olympics. They will get together July 6 in Las Vegas for the start of training camp.
“We made a commitment back in October that we would select two players from the 2011 USA Pan American Games Team and invite them to be part of the 2012 USA Select Team,” said Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball chairman, in a released statement. “Greg (Stiemsma) and Lance (Thomas) were valuable contributors to the USA’s bronze medal showing at the 2011 Pan American Games and both earned their way on to NBA rosters this season and demonstrated they can contribute at that level. I’m pleased to have both players join the USA Select Team.”
Ryan Anderson, the Orlando stretch four, withdrew his name from the team. No reason was given, although he is a restricted free agent and sometimes people on the verge of a new contract do not want to be put in a situation where they could get injured and risk the payday.
- Report: Tracy McGrady works out with Kobe, eyes return to NBA 0
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 5
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14