Jun 5, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
Mike Woodson is your coach of the New York Knicks. Mostly because Carmelo Anthony actually played hard for him, which led to a good record to close out the season. He got the team to play defense, so he gets another shot at this motley roster.
But there was a point earlier in the season it was assumed the Knicks would reach out to Phil Jackson to come in and be the team’s savior.
“Well I am glad they didn’t. [Laughs] I got a great respect for Phil and what he has done over the years and he’s an excellent coach, but again I don’t call those shots. Mr.Dolan made the decision to bring me back and that’s how it was. I was able to negotiate a fair contract. I’ll be back coaching the Knicks next season.”
I still think that there was some back channel conversations where the Knicks learned Jackson was not walking through that door. So they moved on.
Woodson also denies the report he had to fire his agent to make owner James Dolan happy so he could keep the job.
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 1
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 18
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 43
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault