Jun 5, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
Mike Woodson is your coach of the New York Knicks. Mostly because Carmelo Anthony actually played hard for him, which led to a good record to close out the season. He got the team to play defense, so he gets another shot at this motley roster.
But there was a point earlier in the season it was assumed the Knicks would reach out to Phil Jackson to come in and be the team’s savior.
“Well I am glad they didn’t. [Laughs] I got a great respect for Phil and what he has done over the years and he’s an excellent coach, but again I don’t call those shots. Mr.Dolan made the decision to bring me back and that’s how it was. I was able to negotiate a fair contract. I’ll be back coaching the Knicks next season.”
I still think that there was some back channel conversations where the Knicks learned Jackson was not walking through that door. So they moved on.
Woodson also denies the report he had to fire his agent to make owner James Dolan happy so he could keep the job.
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17