Woodson would like to thank Knicks for not calling Jackson

Jun 5, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT

Mike Woodson AP

Mike Woodson is your coach of the New York Knicks. Mostly because Carmelo Anthony actually played hard for him, which led to a good record to close out the season. He got the team to play defense, so he gets another shot at this motley roster.

But there was a point earlier in the season it was assumed the Knicks would reach out to Phil Jackson to come in and be the team’s savior.

They didn’t (or at least not formally), and Woodson told ESPN Radio in New York that worked for him. (Via Sports Radio Interviews)

“Well I am glad they didn’t. [Laughs] I got a great respect for Phil and what he has done over the years and he’s an excellent coach, but again I don’t call those shots. Mr.Dolan made the decision to bring me back and that’s how it was. I was able to negotiate a fair contract. I’ll be back coaching the Knicks next season.”

I still think that there was some back channel conversations where the Knicks learned Jackson was not walking through that door. So they moved on.

Woodson also denies the report he had to fire his agent to make owner James Dolan happy so he could keep the job.

1. djeter220 - Jun 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM

As a Knick fan who likes Woodson, it’s mind boggling to me that they didn’t give Phil a call. The Knicks clearly played better under Woodson than D’Antoni, but were they outperforming their abilities as a team? Or just finally playing up to expectations? Woodson is a good coach, but benefited greatly from having an easy act to follow.

• knightrider1755 - Jun 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Phil, according to sources, is seeking to get a front office job. He is apparently finished with coaching. My guess is that although the Knicks state they didn’t reach out to him, I believe they did and were told that he no longer wanted to coach. It just looks better via public relations for the Knicks to say that Woodson was their only choice for the position. Besides, it makes Woodson feel wanted and that’s a good thing.

2. yousuxxors - Jun 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

another year of meloball.

3. doctorfootball - Jun 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I also read an “according to sources” report that said Phil Jackson wanted to coach the Knicks. Who knows which report is accurate, but I hope the Knicks at least gave him a call to find out if he was interested.

4. dysraw1 - Jun 5, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Mike Woodson is the pick hes good at developing talent an knows what he wants to on the floor. basketball won’t be the clowning around that went on under D’antoni

5. metalhead65 - Jun 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM

jackson will only coach a team with superstars ready to win so even if he still wants to coach it would not be with the knicks. look for the heat to go after him after they lose to the celtics. which will making rooting for them to lose even sweeter.

6. nokoolaidcowboy - Jun 6, 2012 at 5:20 AM

We’ll have to see how this team handles losses under Woodson as their permanent coach. I think egos will get in the way ultimately and the only way to tame that is to have a big name coach that can hold his own. Scowling at players as they come off the court is going to get old fast.

• knightrider1755 - Jun 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Woodson is in for the ride of his life. He will never forget this experience.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches