Jun 5, 2012, 10:09 AM EDT
Coaches or general managers talking about their team’s roster right now should come with an asterisk. Rosters are going to undergo shifts this summer, from minor to major, and what is true today could be wrong by July 15.
“Right now, he is our starting point guard, without a doubt,” Woodson said. “I’ve always believed this: When a starter goes down he doesn’t lose his job because of an injury. You welcome him back with open arms when he gets healthy and you keep it moving…
“That’s what we’re going to do when we get [Lin] signed,” Woodson said of the unsigned restricted free agent. “We’ll get him back in uniform … and get him ready for practice and camp and throw the ball in his hands and say, ‘Let’s go.’ ”
Right now Lin is the starting point guard. But if Steve Nash were to decide to come to New York, it changes. There are a number of free agent point guards who could change the starting status there. The Knicks need depth at that position and will look to bring in someone.
Lin will be part of the Knicks, they will use their midlevel exception to keep him (unless the union wins a long shot arbitration case and can use Bird rights to keep him). He’s going to get a lot of run next year.
Starter? The Magic 8 Ball says ask again later.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'