Jun 5, 2012, 10:09 AM EST
Coaches or general managers talking about their team’s roster right now should come with an asterisk. Rosters are going to undergo shifts this summer, from minor to major, and what is true today could be wrong by July 15.
“Right now, he is our starting point guard, without a doubt,” Woodson said. “I’ve always believed this: When a starter goes down he doesn’t lose his job because of an injury. You welcome him back with open arms when he gets healthy and you keep it moving…
“That’s what we’re going to do when we get [Lin] signed,” Woodson said of the unsigned restricted free agent. “We’ll get him back in uniform … and get him ready for practice and camp and throw the ball in his hands and say, ‘Let’s go.’ ”
Right now Lin is the starting point guard. But if Steve Nash were to decide to come to New York, it changes. There are a number of free agent point guards who could change the starting status there. The Knicks need depth at that position and will look to bring in someone.
Lin will be part of the Knicks, they will use their midlevel exception to keep him (unless the union wins a long shot arbitration case and can use Bird rights to keep him). He’s going to get a lot of run next year.
Starter? The Magic 8 Ball says ask again later.
- LaMarcus Aldridge’s MVP-level season looks a lot like last season 3
- PBT Podcast: Damian Lillard can’t miss, plus Iguodala return 0
- The Extra Pass: The Spurs’ Hammer set; plus Tuesday’s recaps 1
- Tuesday night NBA grades: Damian Lillard is clutch 2
- Nuggets Jordan Hamilton ejected for striking Thunder’s Steven Adams (VIDEO) 10
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (104)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (45)