Someone likely makes run at Asik, but Bulls will match

Jun 5, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Chicago Bulls - Game Two Getty Images

Quality big men are at a premium in the NBA and so any time one comes on the market teams have to overpay to keep them. See DeAndre Jordan‘s contract.

It will not be that rich, but the same principle is in play with the the Bulls this summer and Omer Asik. The Turkish big man has played limited minutes the last couple years with the Bulls (just shy of 15 minutes a game last year) but the potential for his role to grow is there.

Other teams see that too and may make a run at the restricted free agent, but the Bulls plan to match because they want to keep their core together, reports Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.

According to the same source, the rest of the team’s “core”– starters Derrick Rose, Luol Deng, Richard Hamilton, center Joakim Noah and power forward Carlos Boozer, as well as reserve big men Taj Gibson and Omer Asik, the latter of whom is a restricted free agent this summer, though the Bulls are likely to match any offers for him from opposing teams–is “safe,” though team management will surely at least listen to trade offers.

This is the smart play by the Bulls. This is a very good team, and while we can debate if they can beat the Heat in the playoffs this is not a team where you make moves just to make moves. They may make a run at a name point guard to play while Rose is out, but they will not overdo it.

And Asik could evolve into a solid NBA center. You keep him.

1. moseskkim - Jun 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Of course they should keep him. Except for that horrendous free throw shooting that ended the bulls season, he has some talent and at the end of games, thibs went with him and Gibson most of the time. My question is.. If someone pays big for him, bulls will still match? I can see a potential offer from a center less team of 8-10 mill. U have big contracts with rose deng boozer Noah. Can they spend big on their back up big?

• lmoneyfresh - Jun 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM

He should have never been in the position to shoot those free throws though. CJ should have known better than to try and score in that spot. The PG is supposed to be player most aware in that instance and he ended the bulls season prematurely.

• moseskkim - Jun 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Of course it’s Watson’s fault. Still hes a horrendous foul shooter. Couple plays before that he had a running dunk. It wasn’t a horrible basketball play to give it to him under the basket. But it resulted in free throws that he’s horrible at.

• 91devinhester23 - Jun 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Asik played his heart out that game. He was completely gassed by the end. You could see in the huddle he was about to pass out. He should NOT have even been on the court in a clear ft situation, much less been a pass target for CJ.

2. dvic13 - Jun 5, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I still say someone should have him practicing with a JUGS machine daily. He would be do much more effective if he had slightly better hands.

3. 00maltliquor - Jun 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I watch a lot of basketball, and I mean A LOT. I have seen my fair share of Bulls games the last 2 years too. I can NOT for the life of me see what the big deal is with this guy, and what all the hype is about. Severly overrated role player but just because he’s 7″0 and when he’s in he doesn’t hurt the ball club as apposed to the other end of the spectrum. I feel I have an excellent eye for talent but I guess his 10-15 min. a night just don’t do it for me. If someone offers up more then 4.5 mill for him I’d pack his bags for him.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches