Jun 5, 2012, 2:59 PM EDT
Penny Marshall is a regular at Staples Center, a basketball fan there for Lakers and Clippers games. She’s been there for years and every staff person there will tell you how genuine and nice she is. I don’t know about that — she did cut me off once to get to the self-serve ice cream machine in the media room first, although I admit it was a Reggie Evans-level box out and you have to respect that — but to a man everybody speaks highly of her. Which is rare in L.A.
Sources tell TMZ the double-cross started at a Lakers game last month … when a man claiming to be (Lamar Odom’s) assistant gave Penny a phone number he said was Lamar’s.
We’re told Penny and the person she thought was Lamar texted back and forth for several days — when finally “Lamar” asked her to loan his assistant a chunk o’ cash. Ever the faithful Lakers fan, Penny forked over more than five grand to the faux “assistant.”
Of course, after that the assistant disappeared. TMZ says the sum is more than $5,000 and that police are investigating. Marshall’s people would not comment.
The whole thing seems odd because Odom played both for the Clippers and Lakers in the time Marshall has been a regular at Staples and she knows a lot of players. She probably has a phone full of player numbers. Plus this happened after Odom left the Lakers. Add to all that the fact it is reported by TMZ and you can decide how much you choose to believe.
If it is true, that sucks for Marshall.
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 1
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 33
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 15
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 36
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (75)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'