Jun 5, 2012, 10:24 PM EDT
Neil Olshey came in to his first press conference as Trail Blazers general manager and said all the things Blazers fans wanted and you’d expect — we’re trying to re-tool not rebuild, we are in this to win for the long term, etc.
But there was one interesting thing — it sounds like interim coach Kaleb Canales will get to keep his job full time. Here is what he said, via the fantastic BlazersEdge.com.
“He’s the in-house favorite… At the end of the day, I don’t see anyone bringing more to the table than Kaleb Canales but we’re going to undergo a process to figure that out.”
“I don’t think there’s any deadline for when we need to have someone in place [as head coach].”
It should be noted Canales and Olshey have the same agent.
Things can change when a new GM comes in, but he seems to have a direction here.
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 8
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 13
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 21
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 88
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 22