Jun 5, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Whoever gets brought in to replace Neil Olshey as general manager of the Los Angeles Clippers has one big job — make Chris Paul happy. Paul can leave as a free agent next summer and the GM has to keep him happy and get him to commit to LA. That means get him players to help the Clippers take the next step forward on the court, establish lines of communication and listen to him, and if CP3 wants an In-N-Out double-double animal style you go buy it for him. Then offer to wash his car.
This is also the summer the Clippers can offer Blake Griffin an extension of his rookie contract. But that’s a no brainer regardless of GM — you give him a max offer.
The Clippers don’t think the GM change will alter what goes on with Griffin, reports ESPN.
But one source close to the process told ESPN.com’s Marc Stein that Olshey’s departure would have “no significant impact” on Griffin’s decision… The Clippers, sources say, continue to believe that Griffin will accept an extension this summer as opposed to playing out the 2012-13 season and becoming a restricted free agent in July 2013.
This will be Griffin’s first huge contract and this is the one you accept without blinking. Maybe has had thoughts about moving on, but this is the contract that sets you and your family up to live very comfortably the rest of your life. You take this deal, you move on later. Especially if you are a guy who has missed a season with a knee injury and know how fragile a career can be.
What’s more, even if he declined the offer and became a restricted free agent the Clippers would just match any offer from another team.
Griffin will be there. For the Clippers, the focus has to be CP3.
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 18
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11