Jun 5, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Whoever gets brought in to replace Neil Olshey as general manager of the Los Angeles Clippers has one big job — make Chris Paul happy. Paul can leave as a free agent next summer and the GM has to keep him happy and get him to commit to LA. That means get him players to help the Clippers take the next step forward on the court, establish lines of communication and listen to him, and if CP3 wants an In-N-Out double-double animal style you go buy it for him. Then offer to wash his car.
This is also the summer the Clippers can offer Blake Griffin an extension of his rookie contract. But that’s a no brainer regardless of GM — you give him a max offer.
The Clippers don’t think the GM change will alter what goes on with Griffin, reports ESPN.
But one source close to the process told ESPN.com’s Marc Stein that Olshey’s departure would have “no significant impact” on Griffin’s decision… The Clippers, sources say, continue to believe that Griffin will accept an extension this summer as opposed to playing out the 2012-13 season and becoming a restricted free agent in July 2013.
This will be Griffin’s first huge contract and this is the one you accept without blinking. Maybe has had thoughts about moving on, but this is the contract that sets you and your family up to live very comfortably the rest of your life. You take this deal, you move on later. Especially if you are a guy who has missed a season with a knee injury and know how fragile a career can be.
What’s more, even if he declined the offer and became a restricted free agent the Clippers would just match any offer from another team.
Griffin will be there. For the Clippers, the focus has to be CP3.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 15
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 19
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins go 'above and beyond' in Gm. 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury