What ankle problems? Ray Allen plays 46 minutes, looks good

Jun 4, 2012, 8:03 AM EDT

Ray Allen AP

At the start of the Eastern Conference finals, Ray Allen was moving around the court like Betty White. Battling bone spurs in his ankles, he wasn’t moving crisply to get open and when he did get a look there was no lift in his legs and shots clanged off the rim. He was even missing free throws. And Ray Allen doesn’t miss free throws.

But it’s not like that any more.

Allen wasn’t exactly his old self — he was 6-of-16 from the field in Game 4 — but he is a threat again, playing more than 46 minutes, moving well off the ball and scoring 16 points as part of the Celtics dramatic win.

“Just going into the game, starting the game, having my legs underneath me is for me it’s a huge deal now,” Allen said at his post-game press conference.

He had a couple key threes and has again attracted the focus on the Heat defense, spreading them out. It has been one of the keys to the Celtics tying the series up 2-2.

This doesn’t mean the problem is gone for the free agent to be. A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com has this quote from Allen.

“At my lowest point, I was ready to have surgery,” Allen said. “I didn’t think that I would get any better, because I was doing all the things I needed to do, treatment-wise, and just staying off of it. It didn’t seem like it was going to get any better…

“It just progressively got better over time,” Allen said. “We’ll see how I deal with it once the season is over.”

1. acdc363 - Jun 4, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Always been my favorite player.

• bozosforall - Jun 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Sure thing, former Sonics fan turned Celtics bandwagon rider.

• donb9940 - Jun 6, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Don’t listen to him acdc363…bozosforall doesn’t know what the definition of bandwagon is… Just because he’s a Ray Allen fan doesn’t make him a bandwagon rider… My all time favorite NBA player is Dennis Rodman but I eat, sleep, and breathe Celtics… I’ve lived in beantown my entire life but I followed my favorite player his entire career does that mean I’m on the bandwagon? No it doesn’t… I was rooting for the Celtics when they were rebuilding and had the 18 game loosing streak, I rooted for them when the had one of the worst records in the NBA and I rooted for them when they had the best record in the NBA… Go learn the definition of bandwagon than come back here and try and argue with me… As for you acdc363 continue to root for Ray Allen cause that’s what you as a fan can do

• bozosforall - Jun 7, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Don, like with the rest of the liar Boston fans, no one else believes you regarding your claim of rooting for them when they sucked. Boston fans were nowhere to be found in the title less 90s.

• donb9940 - Jun 8, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Unlike u bozo I’m a true fan of my hometown sports teams (Red Sox, Celtics, and the Pats) I don’t understand hockey so I don’t consider myself a Bruins fan. Another thing I’m 22 so 70% of the titleless 90% I was learning and studying about my teams so I could understand thegames and how they were played… But once I felt I understood the concepts I started rooting for my hometown teams even though it was during the titleless, world seriesless, and superbowlless 90’s because I’m a true fan of the game and a true fan of my hometown teams… But that’s not my basis for argument when someone calls a true fan a bandwagon rider they counter with statements like rooting for their hometownteam teams even when they are loosing as I have done… So by your statement of how no one was rooting for them when they were loosing you called yourself a bandwagon rider… Me on the other belong to the rare group do fans who live and die true fans of the game and true fans of their hometown team.

• bozosforall - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:34 AM

You aren’t fooling anyone, closet boy.

• donb9940 - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Bozo do us real sports fans a favor n crawl back under ur bed n leave the sports debates to the people who know what they are taking about… I’ve burned u twice this is going to be the third time… We’ve already realized ur a bandwagon rider, that I am true sports fan, that u have no knowledge of sports, and that ur mind can’t fathom the idea of being wrong… But guess what I’ve proven u wrong twice… I’ve given u facts n knowledge about my hometown teams, I’ve challenged u to give me the definition of a bandwagon rider n u couldn’t, I’ve called u a bandwagon rider n ur come back was I’m a closer boy… U HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF THE DEFINITION OF A BANDWAGON RIDER AND NO KNOWLEDGE OF THE SPORT OR WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A TRUE SPORTS FAN… Do us a favor get off this blog ur lack of knowledge is pathetic… Bozo the bandwagon rider….. I’ve burned u three times… Any argument u come up with I’ll keep burning u on… Quite while u have a little dignity left

• bozosforall - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Learn how to type in English, high school dropout.

• donb9940 - Jun 14, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Really bozo you don’t know when to quite… But you have list every argument with me. You are clinging to hope that I’ll screw up but to your shock and awe I haven’t. Your responses to my arguments are lame…. I’m a closer boy and a high school drop out… What are you 7 years old. Grow the hell up and learn how to argue. YOU ARE PATHETIC. I’ve had better arguments with my give year old niece… I’m done with you as far as this blog, argument and my knowledge of the game is concerned I’ve won… You have no hope of beating me in any argument when it comes to sports. My knowledge of the game and my respect for my teams greatly surpasses your own. I’ve won there is no need to continue

• bozosforall - Jun 16, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Learn how to spell before you come at me, idiot.

• donb9940 - Jun 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Bozo I’ve already beat u in every argument… This is a sports site and I’ve proven you have no sports knowledge… In your desperation to try and get the bed of me you have resorted to high scoop arguments… Your best argument was when you mentioned the 90’a and I owned the page with my responses… I have put you on blast and you have had childish responses… So do me a favor and brush up on your sports knowledge before you try and get at me… I’ve owned you in every argument you have nothing on me and you never will

• bozosforall - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:42 PM

• bozosforall - Jun 18, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Your deluded comments and five dollars will get you a latte at Starbucks. Learn how to spell before you make your idiotic claims about owning anything, welfare boy. The only thing you have ever “beat” is your two-inch needle dink, twinkle toes.

2. lakerluver - Jun 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Maybe the best jumper I’ve ever seen. Is there anything prettier than a guy raining a jumper in someone’s grill as the defenders draped all over him?!!

3. paulhargis53 - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Bozo, so what if he is? Who are you to decide what is the right or wrong way to be a fan? You a fan of the Lakers because your Dad was? No choice in the matter?

It’s ok little girl, maybe the Lakers will get out of the 2nd round next year. It’s too bad you can’t show a little class. Your stupid antics on here are tired and played out.
    Here’s where you come back with a homoerotic variation of my name and tell me I’m a stupid new Englander hypocrite, when actually I live in Illinois.
    Not all fans are beholden to geographic rooting interests.
    Something tells me you aren’t either. I’m willing to bet you were a kid when Showtime was going on and you latched onto the team because they were winning a lot. Because nothing else in your sad pathetic life is any good, you rely on sports teams for your self worth.

Your reaction to the losses shows just how immature and stunted your personality is. I pity you.

• donb9940 - Jun 6, 2012 at 4:02 AM

It’s all good man I went off on him he doesn’t know anything about sports or the terms we use

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches