Jun 4, 2012, 9:13 PM EDT
This was a fast 360.
First rumors circulated that Clippers general manager Neil Olshey had met with Trail Blazers owner Paul Allen about that franchise’s open general manager’s position. The Clippers responded by talking to Olshey and announcing last week they had reached a “deal in principle” with him to stay in Los Angeles.
But that deal was not solid.
Late Monday news came that the Clippers and Olshey were parting ways. Half an hour later came the report that he was going to be the new GM of the Portland Trail Blazers. (Kevin Arnovitz of ESPN seemed to be first with this.)
Olshey has not said why, but it is known he was one of the lowest-paid GMs in the league in Los Angeles (making a reported $250,000) and whatever he’s making now will be a whole lot more, (more than double at least). That said, you can be sure he will say it was not the money. Of course. It never is.
This is a great hire for Portland, a loss for the Clippers.
Olshey helped turn around the culture of the Clippers, he swung the Chris Paul trade and also brought in veterans for the team like Caron Butler, Mo Williams and Chauncey Billups. The Clippers were as lost as any NBA franchise and Olshey is part of the reason they are now considered up and coming contenders.
Soon he will take over in Portland where they have All-Star forward LaMarcus Aldridge, solid role players such as Nicolas Batum, two lottery picks this year and a lot of cap room to go after free agents. Interim GM Chad Buchanan did an excellent job and was rumored to be back in the running
The Clippers need to now find a GM to help this franchise continue its trajectory. Whichever GM comes in will have Vinny Del Negro as his coach and needs to convince free agent to be Chris Paul that he needs to stay after next season. Blake Griffin will get a max deal offer from whoever gets the job.
One thought — Jeff Bower is available and was the GM for the Hornets when Chris Paul was there. They already have a relationship. Bower is reportedly still in the mix for the Orlando job, but he might be swayed. But will the notoriously frugal owner Donald Sterling pay up for a top flight GM?
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 4
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 17
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 26
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy