Jun 4, 2012, 5:52 PM EDT
Miami may have Chris Bosh back on Tuesday for Game 5.
It’s huge in a series where the Heat offense has struggled against a good Boston defense, because the Heat’s pick-and-roll is about to become a lot more dangerous. Right now the Heat have shown limited respect for the damage Shane Battier and Udonis Haslem can do after they set the pick, but Bosh is different. He can score.
Doc Rivers admitted it on a conference call Monday.
“(Bosh) helps (the Heat), because all the trapping we’re doing is harder because he stretches the floor,” Rivers said. “He’s long. We can close out on the ball and get a hand on the ball (when Battier or Haslem shoot). You can’t do that with Bosh. It will be more difficult.”
Miami may score more, but Boston has put up good scoring numbers on the Heat as well. At least they did until the second half of Game 4, when they put up just 28 points. How does the return of another big man in Bosh change the Heat’s plans?
“Oh I don’t know how much different it will be,” Rivers said. “Kevin will try to post up whoever they put out there and we’ll try to post him up.”
Rivers added that the Celtics have prepared as if Bosh was going to return every game, so nothing changes for them.
Other highlights from Rivers’ press conference.
“I would say it’s 100 (of how they tolerate it)…” Rivers said. “I think in Ray’s case he’s just kind of resigned to this is what he has to play with.”
He added he think Allen has gotten his balance and quick release back.
• He said they need to keep Kevin Garnett in an offensive mindset, they need him to score. He also said he would like to keep Garnett’s minutes down, but the game sometimes dictates otherwise. (Miami gets into the paint far more when he is not there protecting it.”
• Rivers on LeBron James’ defense: “The only guy he hasn’t guarded is me.”
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4