Jun 4, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
There have been rumors the Magic are very close to naming a new general manager. If that is true, it will not be former Knicks and Pacers GM Donnie Walsh taking the helm.
That according to David Aldridge at NBA.com (in his must-read Monday column). Walsh pulled himself out of the running, and is not going to Indiana either.
So who is left?
The Magic’s GM list is five: former Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard, Spurs assistant GM Dennis Lindsey, Thunder assistant GM Troy Weaver, Thunder assistant GM and head of player personnel Rob Hennigan and former Hornets GM Jeff Bower.
Magic officials have said the new GM will make the call on Dwight Howard and whether or not to trade him. Which if Howard is not going to commit to stay is a no brainer. Then the GM chooses the coach. Basically, this GM gets to oversee the rebuilding of the Magic. So it’s a big choice.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 15
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 19
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 4
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 38
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22