Jun 4, 2012, 7:53 PM EDT
Anthony Davis got the Golden Ticket, the invite to the ball — he got an invite to the USA Basketball Training Camp. He got in the door due to injuries — Dwight Howard is out, LaMarcus Aldridge may well be out and Team USA could use some size to deal with the Spanish front line.
But don’t expect him to make the team.
Jerry Colangelo, the man who leads this country’s effort in international basketball, saysAnthony Davis is a “long shot” to make the United States’ Olympic team this summer. “Because of inexperience and etc., etc,” he said.
Yet, Davis, who turned 19 in March, might be a long shot that pays off, the USA Basketball chairman added in a telephone interview last week.
“He’s not a guard competing for a guard position where we’re reasonably deep,” Colangelo said in appraising Davis’ chances to making the U.S. team.
Davis probably will not make it, the USA can go with Tyson Chandler at it’s starting five and in international ball get away with guys like Kevin Love at center. Davis can certainly bring the defense but his offensive game isn’t nearly on par with the rest of the guys, not yet anyway. But the USA is not deep along the front line and one more injury could see Davis playing.
When Carmelo Anthony spoke with the AP about the Olympics today, he said the USA’s ability to overcome injuries would be key.
“Injuries, man. Injuries is doing it all,” Anthony said Monday…
“For me, I’m just happy that I can be a part of it again,” the New York Knicks forward said. “The guys that I’ve talked to that will participate are definitely excited about this opportunity, another opportunity to go over there and get a gold medal.”
We’ll see if Davis gets to be one of those guys this time around.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 8
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 30