Jun 3, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Alonzo Gee is what you might call a value free-agent this summer. The Cavs forward has athleticism, youth on his side, a versatile skill-set, and strong upside. But he hasn’t played well enough or under a big enough microscope to carry with him serious buzz. So teams are going to get their shot at making an offer for Gee and stealing him away from Cleveland. And one team is reportedly the Suns. From the Ohio Mourning Journal:
Cavs forward Alonzo Gee might draw some serious interest this summer in free agency. The Suns could make a lucrative offer to Gee. One source said they could offer Gee a four-year, $16 million offer and hope that the Cavs don’t match it.
For $4 million a year, it’s hard to see the Cavs not matching. A possible exception would be if the Cavaliers were to somehow move up or have Michael Kidd-Gilchrist slide down to the four spot and that fills their small forward spot. But the Cavs would have strong inclination to match. They’re bullish on Gee’s production and upside, and he’s had some strong games for the Cavs over the past two years.
Value guys in this league are a must to find, especially for a rebuilding franchise. Small forward is a spot where you have to have athleticism. If the Cavs don’t put together a strong offer for Gee, someone will.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 4
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 18
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14