Jun 3, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Alonzo Gee is what you might call a value free-agent this summer. The Cavs forward has athleticism, youth on his side, a versatile skill-set, and strong upside. But he hasn’t played well enough or under a big enough microscope to carry with him serious buzz. So teams are going to get their shot at making an offer for Gee and stealing him away from Cleveland. And one team is reportedly the Suns. From the Ohio Mourning Journal:
Cavs forward Alonzo Gee might draw some serious interest this summer in free agency. The Suns could make a lucrative offer to Gee. One source said they could offer Gee a four-year, $16 million offer and hope that the Cavs don’t match it.
For $4 million a year, it’s hard to see the Cavs not matching. A possible exception would be if the Cavaliers were to somehow move up or have Michael Kidd-Gilchrist slide down to the four spot and that fills their small forward spot. But the Cavs would have strong inclination to match. They’re bullish on Gee’s production and upside, and he’s had some strong games for the Cavs over the past two years.
Value guys in this league are a must to find, especially for a rebuilding franchise. Small forward is a spot where you have to have athleticism. If the Cavs don’t put together a strong offer for Gee, someone will.
- Stephen Curry wins MVP with 100 of 130 first-place votes, but James Harden closest second place in four years 3
- PBT Second Round Playoff Preview: Los Angeles Clippers vs. Houston Rockets 8
- Ginobili, Duncan, Popovich dance around questions about Spurs’ future 8
- Reports: Stephen Curry to be named MVP Monday 40
- Hawks start hot, finish cold, Wizards take Game 1 on road 104-98. 8
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Preview: Washington Wizards vs. Atlanta Hawks 4
- Adjusting for playoff rotations round two: Watch out for the Wizards 2
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 20