Jun 2, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
“If they lose Steve, then they plan to go after Deron, hard,” said a person with knowledge of the Suns’ plans. “They know he loves golf and they’re going to try to sell him on going out there.”
That’s your plan?
Williams has his choice of re-signing with the Nets for the most money and years allowed under the new CBA, being built as a global superstar by owner Mikhail Prokhorov, and bringing with it all the sponsorship opportunities and lifestyle of living in the greatest city in the world. He can sign with his hometown Dallas Mavericks, pairing him with a Hall-of-Famer in Dirk Nowitzki and an owner that has proven he’ll spend in order to win. He can pair himself with just about any superstar in the league, and your plan of attack to reportedly attempt to convince him to sign with you when your best player is Marcin Gortat is to lure him with … golf?
The report seems like an assistant GM mentioned that they’d love to pair Williams with Alvin Gentry and Gortat, or a player of that ilk. I’m sure the Suns will make an offer, if Williams’ agent picks up the phone. But in an NBA where I firmly believe it is nearly impossible to predict what happens next, even that stretches the boundaries of “reasonably possible.”
- Hawks start hot, finish cold, Wizards take Game 1 on road 104-98. 2
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Preview: Washington Wizards vs. Atlanta Hawks 3
- Adjusting for playoff rotations round two: Watch out for the Wizards 1
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 19
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 28
- Report: Bulls’ Mike Dunleavy won’t be suspended for Game 1 against Cavaliers 22
- PBT Extra: Can Clippers build on Game 6 win? 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Derrick Rose got it done on both ends in first round 2