LaMarcus Aldridge was hospitalized with deadly blood virus

Jun 2, 2012, 3:23 PM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

This is scary. As Kevin Garnett would say, “really [expletive] scary.”

Trail Blazers All-Star forward LaMarcus Aldridge found himself in the hospital this week with a potentially deadly blood virus. He wrote about it in his blog on trailblazers.com (hat tip to Blazers Edge).

On Saturday I came down with a blood virus. I quickly became sick and had to be rushed to the hospital. I thought it was a case of bad food or a bad cold, but I was wrong. It turned out to be a very serious virus that if not treated quickly could actually be deadly! One thing I know for sure is that I’ve never felt worse in my life and there were times I wasn’t really sure where I was going. Thankfully I had a lot of family support and great medical care that helped me fight through it and now I’ve turned the corner and I’m feeling much better.

Yikes.

Aldridge is currently recovering from hip surgery that forced him to miss the end of the season and could force him to miss the Olympics, although he is trying to make it back for London. (Team USA could use all the quality big men with great outside touch they could get for that tournament.)

But now that kind of all seems like gravy.

1. sportsfannn - Jun 2, 2012 at 4:02 PM

What blood virus was this? Any info?

2. gmen4life33 - Jun 2, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Magic: “I had a blood virus that also killed me too”

• cullenand99 - Jun 2, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Just remember, karma’s a b****

• sellahh - Jun 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM

With all the bad wishes that I’ve had, the bitch will hit me for sure but you sir deserve some herpes… at the very least.

• cullenand99 - Jun 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM

You talking to me or gmen4life33?

• sellahh - Jun 2, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Hit me with a guess sir. Ofc not you.

• cullenand99 - Jun 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM

My bad, it looked like you rpelyed to my post

• cullenand99 - Jun 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM

My bad, it looked like you repelyed to my post

3. letangusespertplus - Jun 2, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Hope everything goes well in recovery.

4. bestcoastinfluence - Jun 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I hope this dude gets better soon, he is one of the most exciting players in the league to watch. Nothing flashy, but gets work done in the post and on the perimeter.

• crosberries - Jun 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM

So which is he? One of the most exciting players to watch or just a hard working player?

• sellahh - Jun 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I’m sorry guys but this is hilarious. I’d love to crack a beer (although I’m only twelve y.o.) with one of you. Guess who.

5. chicagofan - Jun 3, 2012 at 8:12 AM

He did not have any blood “virus” he must have had a bacterial infection, like staph or strep. If he had a deadly blood virus he would likely be dead, there is no way they could have diagnosed a viral infection quickly enough to save him. Antibiotics, that they likely gave him, would treat a bacterial infection.

6. 11jlacy - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Get betta homeboy the league need u.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches