Jun 1, 2012, 12:52 PM EDT
Steve Kerr and the TNT broadcast crew called it like it was — Kendrick Perkins struggled on defense the first two games of the Thunder’s series against San Antonio. He was not able to contain Tony Parker when he showed out on pick-and-rolls, he did not recover fast enough to keep up with a rolling Tim Duncan.
If you watched the broadcast of Game 3, you heard Kerr and the broadcast crew refer to Perkins staring them down and calling them out. From the Oklahoman.
After at least two first-half defensive stops aided by his play, Perkins stared down the broadcast crew.
“Talk about that,” he yelled.
Thing is, Perkins played a lot better in Game 3. Like the rest of the Thunder defense. Because the Thunder switched everything Perkins even got isolated on Parker a couple times and shut the speedy French point guard down. Perkins blocked a Manu Ginobili jumper. That’s not his forte — OKC brought him in because they thought they’d be matching up with Andrew Bynum right now — but in Game 3 he was fantastic.
And the TNT crew acknowledged it.
“In that last game Parker was able to get in there and get off his shots pretty easy,” Perkins said. “So tonight I said, ‘I want to see what you got.’ ” I wanted to challenge him. I wanted to make him really work for it.”
Game 4 in this series is going to be interesting. Very interesting.
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 0
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 9
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 44
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 17
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 44
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (75)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record