Jun 1, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
We’ve been telling you that it looked like the Wizards were leaning toward keeping Randy Wittman as coach.
The Washington Wizards are finalizing details on a two-year contract for interim coach Randy Wittman to become head coach, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. An announcement is planned for next week, sources said.
As we have said, this is a safe hire by Washington. Wittman was 18-31 as the interim coach in Washington, which included a six-game winning streak to end the season. He took over 17 games into the season after Flip Saunders got the ax. Wittman had a pedestrian record as the head man in Washington and Cleveland before this. Wittman no doubt connected with and got more out of the roster than Flip, he helped usher in a little more discipline to a young team, but the Wizards were not good either way.
Woj adds this note about the Wizards looking at the bottom line.
The Wizards won’t make a significant financial commitment to Wittman, sources said, and that’s a trend that more franchises are expected to continue. After the NBA lockout, many owners are determined to pay front-office and coaching staffs less money. The Wizards are a big-market team that could’ve successfully competed for higher-profile head coaches available, including Mike D’Antoni, Nate McMillan and Stan Van Gundy, but chose to keep Wittman on a shorter, less expensive contract.
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 0
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 32
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 11
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 17
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 33