Jun 1, 2012, 8:47 AM EDT
People expect to see Phil Jackson returning to the bench, sitting in his extra-tall chair, coaching some team loaded with talent that just needs someone to get them to meditate and come together to reach their higher plain.
But he has suggested he really wants a front office position, more wise guru consultant than guy who has to go through the grind of being an NBA coach.
Apparently he is again going to have some kind of role with an NBA team, it just won’t be with the Orlando Magic. Jackson recently spoke with the Magic about a spot in the front office, former Magic player Sam Vincent told the Orlando Sentinel.
For the past few days, Phil Jackson was interested in the possibility of joining the Magic’s front office.
Then, late Thursday afternoon, Jackson bowed out. Magic CEO Alex Martins was formally presented on Wednesday with a scenario involving Jackson by Sam Vincent, who played for the Magic and Jackson.
“It drew some interest from Phil,” Vincent said. “But in the end, Phil decided to go with another opportunity.”
What other opportunity?
We’ll see. Sometimes that’s just what you say when things don’t work out.
But I think we may see him with an NBA role. I just am pretty sure whatever it is it will not be as head coach.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14