Jun 1, 2012, 7:24 PM EDT
For the past four regular seasons, Kevin Garnett has been the same — good, maybe All-Star good. His offense is solid and he is still the anchor of the Boston defense. These playoffs have been no different and he has played well, stepping up his game at points the Celtics have needed it.
Is Garnett willing to walk away from the game while he still has something left?
At least someone close to KG says yes, reports Steve Aschburner at NBA.com.
But at least one league source who knows Garnett well thinks a proud, strong exit and, as they say in show biz, a chance to leave ‘em wanting more might be his plan. “I think that’s what we’ve been seeing in these playoffs,” the friend of Garnett said. “The way he’s been playing, it’s like he wants to go out on his terms.”
Maybe. It has been 17 seasons he’s been in the league. But I doubt it. I think Boston will try to bring him back on a less expensive, short-term deal and other teams will compete with that. I’d be shocked if he retired anywhere else, I think he’s a Celtic or nothing.
To me, KG is the kind of guy who finds it hard to just walk away, he’s too competitive. But it’s not out of the question.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43