Jun 1, 2012, 7:24 PM EDT
For the past four regular seasons, Kevin Garnett has been the same — good, maybe All-Star good. His offense is solid and he is still the anchor of the Boston defense. These playoffs have been no different and he has played well, stepping up his game at points the Celtics have needed it.
Is Garnett willing to walk away from the game while he still has something left?
At least someone close to KG says yes, reports Steve Aschburner at NBA.com.
But at least one league source who knows Garnett well thinks a proud, strong exit and, as they say in show biz, a chance to leave ’em wanting more might be his plan. “I think that’s what we’ve been seeing in these playoffs,” the friend of Garnett said. “The way he’s been playing, it’s like he wants to go out on his terms.”
Maybe. It has been 17 seasons he’s been in the league. But I doubt it. I think Boston will try to bring him back on a less expensive, short-term deal and other teams will compete with that. I’d be shocked if he retired anywhere else, I think he’s a Celtic or nothing.
To me, KG is the kind of guy who finds it hard to just walk away, he’s too competitive. But it’s not out of the question.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 15
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 40
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19