Jun 1, 2012, 10:37 AM EST
While the team itself denies that there is any decision made, more and more reports are bubbling up that the Washington Wizards have decided to strip the interim tag off Randy Wittman and keep him as coach.
The latest such report comes from Ric Bucher at ESPN:
Had the Wizards won the draft lottery and earned the right to draft Kentucky’s Anthony Davis, the cost of investing in a higher-profile coach might’ve been worthwhile, a source said, but with the Wizards still in rebuilding mode and the job Wittman did with their young players last season, the team will stand pat for now.
Well, that’s a ringing endorsement. If we had a really great player we’d totally go get a top-flight coach, but because we’re still going to suck let’s save a few bucks and keep Wittman. John Wall must be thrilled.
Wittman was 18-31, which included a six-game winning streak to end the season, after taking over 17 games into the season for Flip Saunders. He certainly connected with and got more out of the roster than Flip, but the Wizards were not good either way.
Right now the main goal in Washington needs to be a roster changeover to one that is professional, that shows up to work prepared. The Nene for JaVale McGee trade was a step down that road, but more moves are expected (we’re looking at you, Andray Blatche and Rashard Lewis). Wittman is a solid NBA coach, which apparently works for Washington.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 3
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 32
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (57)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)