Jun 1, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
While the team itself denies that there is any decision made, more and more reports are bubbling up that the Washington Wizards have decided to strip the interim tag off Randy Wittman and keep him as coach.
The latest such report comes from Ric Bucher at ESPN:
Had the Wizards won the draft lottery and earned the right to draft Kentucky’s Anthony Davis, the cost of investing in a higher-profile coach might’ve been worthwhile, a source said, but with the Wizards still in rebuilding mode and the job Wittman did with their young players last season, the team will stand pat for now.
Well, that’s a ringing endorsement. If we had a really great player we’d totally go get a top-flight coach, but because we’re still going to suck let’s save a few bucks and keep Wittman. John Wall must be thrilled.
Wittman was 18-31, which included a six-game winning streak to end the season, after taking over 17 games into the season for Flip Saunders. He certainly connected with and got more out of the roster than Flip, but the Wizards were not good either way.
Right now the main goal in Washington needs to be a roster changeover to one that is professional, that shows up to work prepared. The Nene for JaVale McGee trade was a step down that road, but more moves are expected (we’re looking at you, Andray Blatche and Rashard Lewis). Wittman is a solid NBA coach, which apparently works for Washington.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10