May 31, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
The team has gone a year without a general manager, why would you think getting one would be easy for them?
Technically the Trail Blazers have had a GM in Chad Buchanan, and he did a good job even though he had to wear the interim tag like a scarlet letter. You try doing your job while your boss says publicly you don’t get to keep it permanently.
It’s become evident in the past 24 hours there’s considerable division among the lieutenants who advise Blazers owner Paul Allen…
David Morway, the general manager of the Indiana Pacers, is believed by many to be the favored candidate of Blazers president Larry Miller. Meanwhile, if you believe insiders, Allen confidante Bert Kolde is pushing for Los Angeles Clippers general manager Neil Olshey… Also involved is former New Orleans general manager Jeff Bower. And I was told by someone close to the search that Allen had taken a sudden interest in Philadelphia 76ers senior vice president Tony DiLeo.
Allen tweeted yesterday that all is well. Just doing their research. Okay.
When you’re not in the room when the decision is made you can only judge what is going on by the results you see. And what we have seen in Portland now for a while has been an odd, rudderless ownership. Kevin Pritchard and Rich Cho did their jobs well and got canned, Buchanan has done a fantastic job setting the team up to rebuild on the fly following the loss of Brandon Roy and Greg Oden, and he can’t get the full time gig. Now they can’t agree on who to hire.
So much potential being wasted.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 0
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10