May 31, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
The team has gone a year without a general manager, why would you think getting one would be easy for them?
Technically the Trail Blazers have had a GM in Chad Buchanan, and he did a good job even though he had to wear the interim tag like a scarlet letter. You try doing your job while your boss says publicly you don’t get to keep it permanently.
It’s become evident in the past 24 hours there’s considerable division among the lieutenants who advise Blazers owner Paul Allen…
David Morway, the general manager of the Indiana Pacers, is believed by many to be the favored candidate of Blazers president Larry Miller. Meanwhile, if you believe insiders, Allen confidante Bert Kolde is pushing for Los Angeles Clippers general manager Neil Olshey… Also involved is former New Orleans general manager Jeff Bower. And I was told by someone close to the search that Allen had taken a sudden interest in Philadelphia 76ers senior vice president Tony DiLeo.
Allen tweeted yesterday that all is well. Just doing their research. Okay.
When you’re not in the room when the decision is made you can only judge what is going on by the results you see. And what we have seen in Portland now for a while has been an odd, rudderless ownership. Kevin Pritchard and Rich Cho did their jobs well and got canned, Buchanan has done a fantastic job setting the team up to rebuild on the fly following the loss of Brandon Roy and Greg Oden, and he can’t get the full time gig. Now they can’t agree on who to hire.
So much potential being wasted.
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 0
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 30
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 28
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 24
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 10
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 19