May 31, 2012, 12:57 PM EDT
After the NBA Draft Lottery was over Wednesday night, the presumptive No. 1 pick Anthony Davis was saying all the right things. He said he was lucky to go help out New Orleans, “I just have to buy into what they’re doing and work my hardest.”
Then Thursday he started to open up and be honest.
“A lot of disappointment inside my family. My mom wanted me to go to Charlotte. I have a lot of good friends in Charlotte. At the same time, it wasn’t my call. A lot of guys are disappointed but they have to move on and make the best out of New Orleans.”
Then when pushed, he said he’s looks forward to taking a shot at Kobe Bryant.
“He’s a monster. So I just want to go out there and play my hardest. There’s a lot of guys that can’t stop Kobe. So if I stop him I could be one of the guys that say ‘I shut Kobe down’.”
Note to Davis: Don’t give Kobe more motivation. Just don’t.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29