May 30, 2012, 6:27 PM EST
Golden State may have more riding on the NBA Draft Lottery than any team on the board.
And they are counting on superstition to bail them out.
The math for the Warriors is simple: they are currently the 7 seed and if they are in that spot or higher after the lottery they get to keep their pick in the upcoming draft, one of the deepest in recent memory. However, if a team leapfrogs them — there is a 28 percent chance that a team behind them lands a top 3 pick — and the Warriors slide back to 8 they have to give their pick to the Utah Jazz.
The Warriors tanked hard at the end of the season to keep this pick, they don’t want to give it up.
So they have all kinds of good luck charms.
Guber was given a massive tooth from a great white shark several years back. He said it’s much larger than the normal size, measuring almost 3 inches in length and weighing nearly 2 pounds. He started believing in the lucky powers of the tooth when he and Joe Lacob’s “underdog” ownership group outbid Larry Ellison for the Warriors in 2010. It may have had something to do with a film he produced, “The Kids Are All Right,” winning the Golden Globe in 2010, too.
“It brought me the Warriors, so why can’t it bring the Warriors a pick?” Guber said.
Warriors’ general manager Bob Meyers has a token given him by Indian at a casino… I know, sounds like a Simpson’s episode, but that’s the story from Matt Steinmetz from CSNBayArea.com.
“We have a sponsorship agreement with Cache Creek (Casino resort) and there’s a real, live Indian who runs their operation. And someone in our office handed me an Indiana token that they say is good luck. So, we’ll see. But I’m open to more suggestions.”
Pretty much everyone will have some superstition going — Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert is sending his son Nick again since that worked last year. And it goes on down the line.
Doesn’t matter. Whoever wins people will say it’s fixed.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 6
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 32
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20