May 30, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
Golden State may have more riding on the NBA Draft Lottery than any team on the board.
And they are counting on superstition to bail them out.
The math for the Warriors is simple: they are currently the 7 seed and if they are in that spot or higher after the lottery they get to keep their pick in the upcoming draft, one of the deepest in recent memory. However, if a team leapfrogs them — there is a 28 percent chance that a team behind them lands a top 3 pick — and the Warriors slide back to 8 they have to give their pick to the Utah Jazz.
The Warriors tanked hard at the end of the season to keep this pick, they don’t want to give it up.
So they have all kinds of good luck charms.
Guber was given a massive tooth from a great white shark several years back. He said it’s much larger than the normal size, measuring almost 3 inches in length and weighing nearly 2 pounds. He started believing in the lucky powers of the tooth when he and Joe Lacob’s “underdog” ownership group outbid Larry Ellison for the Warriors in 2010. It may have had something to do with a film he produced, “The Kids Are All Right,” winning the Golden Globe in 2010, too.
“It brought me the Warriors, so why can’t it bring the Warriors a pick?” Guber said.
Warriors’ general manager Bob Meyers has a token given him by Indian at a casino… I know, sounds like a Simpson’s episode, but that’s the story from Matt Steinmetz from CSNBayArea.com.
“We have a sponsorship agreement with Cache Creek (Casino resort) and there’s a real, live Indian who runs their operation. And someone in our office handed me an Indiana token that they say is good luck. So, we’ll see. But I’m open to more suggestions.”
Pretty much everyone will have some superstition going — Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert is sending his son Nick again since that worked last year. And it goes on down the line.
Doesn’t matter. Whoever wins people will say it’s fixed.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 5
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 10
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 2
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14