May 30, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
Golden State may have more riding on the NBA Draft Lottery than any team on the board.
And they are counting on superstition to bail them out.
The math for the Warriors is simple: they are currently the 7 seed and if they are in that spot or higher after the lottery they get to keep their pick in the upcoming draft, one of the deepest in recent memory. However, if a team leapfrogs them — there is a 28 percent chance that a team behind them lands a top 3 pick — and the Warriors slide back to 8 they have to give their pick to the Utah Jazz.
The Warriors tanked hard at the end of the season to keep this pick, they don’t want to give it up.
So they have all kinds of good luck charms.
Guber was given a massive tooth from a great white shark several years back. He said it’s much larger than the normal size, measuring almost 3 inches in length and weighing nearly 2 pounds. He started believing in the lucky powers of the tooth when he and Joe Lacob’s “underdog” ownership group outbid Larry Ellison for the Warriors in 2010. It may have had something to do with a film he produced, “The Kids Are All Right,” winning the Golden Globe in 2010, too.
“It brought me the Warriors, so why can’t it bring the Warriors a pick?” Guber said.
Warriors’ general manager Bob Meyers has a token given him by Indian at a casino… I know, sounds like a Simpson’s episode, but that’s the story from Matt Steinmetz from CSNBayArea.com.
“We have a sponsorship agreement with Cache Creek (Casino resort) and there’s a real, live Indian who runs their operation. And someone in our office handed me an Indiana token that they say is good luck. So, we’ll see. But I’m open to more suggestions.”
Pretty much everyone will have some superstition going — Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert is sending his son Nick again since that worked last year. And it goes on down the line.
Doesn’t matter. Whoever wins people will say it’s fixed.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 39
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42