May 30, 2012, 6:27 PM EST
Golden State may have more riding on the NBA Draft Lottery than any team on the board.
And they are counting on superstition to bail them out.
The math for the Warriors is simple: they are currently the 7 seed and if they are in that spot or higher after the lottery they get to keep their pick in the upcoming draft, one of the deepest in recent memory. However, if a team leapfrogs them — there is a 28 percent chance that a team behind them lands a top 3 pick — and the Warriors slide back to 8 they have to give their pick to the Utah Jazz.
The Warriors tanked hard at the end of the season to keep this pick, they don’t want to give it up.
So they have all kinds of good luck charms.
Guber was given a massive tooth from a great white shark several years back. He said it’s much larger than the normal size, measuring almost 3 inches in length and weighing nearly 2 pounds. He started believing in the lucky powers of the tooth when he and Joe Lacob’s “underdog” ownership group outbid Larry Ellison for the Warriors in 2010. It may have had something to do with a film he produced, “The Kids Are All Right,” winning the Golden Globe in 2010, too.
“It brought me the Warriors, so why can’t it bring the Warriors a pick?” Guber said.
Warriors’ general manager Bob Meyers has a token given him by Indian at a casino… I know, sounds like a Simpson’s episode, but that’s the story from Matt Steinmetz from CSNBayArea.com.
“We have a sponsorship agreement with Cache Creek (Casino resort) and there’s a real, live Indian who runs their operation. And someone in our office handed me an Indiana token that they say is good luck. So, we’ll see. But I’m open to more suggestions.”
Pretty much everyone will have some superstition going — Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert is sending his son Nick again since that worked last year. And it goes on down the line.
Doesn’t matter. Whoever wins people will say it’s fixed.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)