May 30, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
Cue Henny Youngman: Take our bad contracts — please.
The Wizards need to remake their roster and they are actively trying to get rid of their two biggest remaining contract errors one way or another, reports the Washington Post.
But according to multiple league sources, the team will look to move Lewis and Blatche prior to the draft before paying them not to play for the organization. Grunfeld intimated last month that Blatche could return.
Smart to try and get something for those guys. Anything, really. Some team may take on Lewis just to buy him out themselves, for the cost savings. Blatche… good luck. In both cases if it doesn’t work they need to cut the cord.
The Wizards need to reshape the locker room. The culture in there was toxic, with poor preparation and a real lack of professionalism. You can say they are paying too much for Nene but he is a quality NBA big man and is a professional who shows up to work prepared to work. They need that influence.
Which is why I don’t get Washington considering bringing the talented but mercurial Blatche back. Yes, there is talent there but this is about changing the culture. They need to move on.
What would really speed that process along is winning the draft lottery Wednesday. But that’s another story.
- Cavs GM: It’s “highly unlikely” Kevin Love returns at all in playoffs, even if Cavs make Finals 19
- No Kevin Love, no J.R. Smith to start, how much trouble is Cleveland in? 19
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 6
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 10
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 25
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2