May 30, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
Cue Henny Youngman: Take our bad contracts — please.
The Wizards need to remake their roster and they are actively trying to get rid of their two biggest remaining contract errors one way or another, reports the Washington Post.
But according to multiple league sources, the team will look to move Lewis and Blatche prior to the draft before paying them not to play for the organization. Grunfeld intimated last month that Blatche could return.
Smart to try and get something for those guys. Anything, really. Some team may take on Lewis just to buy him out themselves, for the cost savings. Blatche… good luck. In both cases if it doesn’t work they need to cut the cord.
The Wizards need to reshape the locker room. The culture in there was toxic, with poor preparation and a real lack of professionalism. You can say they are paying too much for Nene but he is a quality NBA big man and is a professional who shows up to work prepared to work. They need that influence.
Which is why I don’t get Washington considering bringing the talented but mercurial Blatche back. Yes, there is talent there but this is about changing the culture. They need to move on.
What would really speed that process along is winning the draft lottery Wednesday. But that’s another story.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 23
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 22
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48