May 30, 2012, 1:28 PM EDT
Usually, being friends with the head of the company is the best way to get a job.
But it was just the opposite for Patrick Ewing. The legendary Knicks player and now long-time assistant coach is near the top of the list of guys who should get a seat in the big chair soon (along with Brian Shaw, Mike Malone, Mike Budenholzer and a few others).
And Ewing is friends with Bobcats owner Michael Jordan. So… nope, he’s out, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
After an interview with Charlotte management, owner Michael Jordan personally reached out to Patrick Ewing to tell him he’s been eliminated as a candidate to coach the Bobcats, a league source told Yahoo! Sports….
Ewing, an assistant coach for the past five seasons in Orlando, is a close friend of Jordan’s, and that may have actually worked against the Hall of Fame center in the hiring process. Jordan has been subject to biting criticism for hiring too many cronies and “yes” men through the years, and merely inviting Ewing for the interview started to inspire those kind of shots at Jordan again.
It’s unfortunate. Those criticisms of Jordan are valid, but he has started to reform (see GM Rich Cho) and hiring Ewing would certainly have been a legitmate hire.
Ewing deserves a shot soon. And frankly, wherever he lands might well be a better situation than Charlotte (unless they win the draft lottery and the rights to Anthony Davis, then all bets are off).
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20