May 30, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
And Dallas fans are shaking their heads….
ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith reportedly said on a recent radio broadcast that Lamar Odom “desperately” wants to be a Laker again and that he and his agent will speak to Lakers management about it. (Hat tip to LakersNation.com.) Because of the bombastic source, please sprinkle the rumor liberally with salt.
That follows last week’s report that Odom wanted to be a Knick.
We keep hearing that “being comfortable” where he plays is the big issue for Odom, so you expect to hear about the Lakers where he won a ring and has a home, or New York where he grew up. At some point I would expect we will hear Miami rumors as he played there as well.
If Odom is willing to take a steep pay cut, he can play wherever he wants.
The Lakers likely would be interested — they could use depth up front, especially if Pau Gasol or Andrew Bynum gets traded — but couldn’t offer any more than the $3 million mini mid-level exception. Which may well be more than the Knicks could offer (they have a full $5 million mid-level exception but will likely have to use all of that to retain Jeremy Lin, and after that all they can offer is a veteran’s minimum deal). The Heat will have the same mini mid-level as the Lakers and, as these playoffs show, could certainly use the depth up front.
It’s a far cry from what Odom was making, and he likely can make more money on the open market.
But if it really is about fit and comfort, he’s going to have to make a sacrifice to get it done. We’ll see if he really is willing.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18