May 30, 2012, 9:44 AM EST
Tuesday it was sources close to the Lakers big man saying that said he wanted to be traded to Chicago. Which wasn’t very likely to happen, and we warned you the rumor was “wild,” but that’s what the sources said.
“My position is still the same,” Gasol told The Times. “I still would love to be a part of the Lakers and continue to be here to help the team win more championships as soon as possible. It’s out of my control and it’s out of my hands, no matter what…
“I don’t know where that came from,” Gasol said. “It’s pointless to really worry about it. I’m totally cool with it, whatever they say. The stories will appear and then disappear on something that does or doesn’t happen again. It sucks to be in that position, but it is what it is.”
Gasol was a little frustrated and a little resigned a last week after his exit interview with GM Mitch Kupchak when, if you read between the lines it was clear Los Angeles was going to shop him around. The Lakers need to remake their roster and with three guys — Gasol, Kobe Bryant and Andrew Bynum — set to make $65 million between them you have to move one to really get anything done. Those three alone have the Lakers $7 million over the salary cap and within $5 million of the luxury tax. Kobe isn’t going anywhere so it’s the big men on the block.
So Gasol knows he is being shopped and very likely has an idea of where he would like to be traded. Chicago may be on that list. But it’s kind of moot. Like he said he has no control over the situation. If he did, he would stay a Laker, just like he said.
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 1
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 20
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 13
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)