May 30, 2012, 9:44 AM EDT
Tuesday it was sources close to the Lakers big man saying that said he wanted to be traded to Chicago. Which wasn’t very likely to happen, and we warned you the rumor was “wild,” but that’s what the sources said.
“My position is still the same,” Gasol told The Times. “I still would love to be a part of the Lakers and continue to be here to help the team win more championships as soon as possible. It’s out of my control and it’s out of my hands, no matter what…
“I don’t know where that came from,” Gasol said. “It’s pointless to really worry about it. I’m totally cool with it, whatever they say. The stories will appear and then disappear on something that does or doesn’t happen again. It sucks to be in that position, but it is what it is.”
Gasol was a little frustrated and a little resigned a last week after his exit interview with GM Mitch Kupchak when, if you read between the lines it was clear Los Angeles was going to shop him around. The Lakers need to remake their roster and with three guys — Gasol, Kobe Bryant and Andrew Bynum — set to make $65 million between them you have to move one to really get anything done. Those three alone have the Lakers $7 million over the salary cap and within $5 million of the luxury tax. Kobe isn’t going anywhere so it’s the big men on the block.
So Gasol knows he is being shopped and very likely has an idea of where he would like to be traded. Chicago may be on that list. But it’s kind of moot. Like he said he has no control over the situation. If he did, he would stay a Laker, just like he said.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 8
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1