Pau Gasol denies he wants to play for Bulls

May 30, 2012, 9:44 AM EDT

gasol-nuggets-game-7

Tuesday it was sources close to the Lakers big man saying that said he wanted to be traded to Chicago. Which wasn’t very likely to happen, and we warned you the rumor was “wild,” but that’s what the sources said.

Then, somebody asked Pau Gasol himself. From the Los Angeles Times.

“My position is still the same,” Gasol told The Times. “I still would love to be a part of the Lakers and continue to be here to help the team win more championships as soon as possible. It’s out of my control and it’s out of my hands, no matter what…

“I don’t know where that came from,” Gasol said. “It’s pointless to really worry about it. I’m totally cool with it, whatever they say. The stories will appear and then disappear on something that does or doesn’t happen again. It sucks to be in that position, but it is what it is.”

Gasol was a little frustrated and a little resigned a last week after his exit interview with GM Mitch Kupchak when, if you read between the lines it was clear Los Angeles was going to shop him around. The Lakers need to remake their roster and with three guys — Gasol, Kobe Bryant and Andrew Bynum — set to make $65 million between them you have to move one to really get anything done. Those three alone have the Lakers $7 million over the salary cap and within $5 million of the luxury tax. Kobe isn’t going anywhere so it’s the big men on the block.

So Gasol knows he is being shopped and very likely has an idea of where he would like to be traded. Chicago may be on that list. But it’s kind of moot. Like he said he has no control over the situation. If he did, he would stay a Laker, just like he said.

1. savvybynature - May 30, 2012 at 10:25 AM

It is extremely unlikely to happen because of cap situations, but imagine this guy on the Spurs!
    An organization that plays team ball and has an offense beyond “give it to Kobe, or LeBron, or Durant…” would be an ideal fit for Pau imo, giving him the chance to utilize his all-around skill set. He is a very good passer for a big, but if you don’t touch the ball being a good passer isn’t very handy.

2. boilerup1869 - May 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM

In July of 2007, I met Pau (and Marc) in the Ibiza airport in Spain. This was right around the time there was talk he might sign with the Bulls as a free agent.

I took a picture with him and his brother, and then said, “We would love to have you play in Chicago.”

His response? A very non-chalant, “Thanks, I’ll talk to my agent.”

Five years later, I’m still crossing my fingers.

3. asublimeday - May 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM

If the bulls can trade boozer and maybe a complimentary piece or two (korver, brewer, and asik come to mind), this would be a great deal.

• foozeball - May 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM

A great deal for who? Lol

4. chargerdillon - May 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

From day 1 to now on the Lakers Pau has always been called soft to a certain degree. Physically there is nothing soft about his game, mentally he as soft as they come.

Does anybody remember the mental fallout last year with Paus girlfriend? Mental collapse

This year….with the lead handed a wide open midrange spot, essentially his bread and butter, and rather than sealing the game, he passes it away to Durant, game over. Another mental collapse.

From the moment Gasol became trade bait he became a liability. Pau Gasol is supposed to be #2 of the big 3 in LA….. the #2 when you’re part of a big3 is EXPECTED to score, not pass the ball away.

Pau has singlehandedly removed himself from the spotlight for being unable to pull the trigger. I dont want Pau Gasol anymore than I want Noah or Booser.

Lakers fans better face up to the fact that unless we get an infusion of elite talent in the form of Deron Williams or Dwight Howard, the Lakers will probably be a 1 and done or 2 and done until Kobe retires.

Kobe takes too many shots, the only other elite player on the team (Gasol) is not afraid to take his shots. Bynum plays when he wants to play, but dominant players dont get shut down in the playoffs. Cancel Christmas, Kitchen is closed.

5. qwest12 - May 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Terrible fit for bulls he is too lazy and slow

6. lakerluver - May 30, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Man, I feel for Pau. Very skilled player and seems like a great dude. As a LAKERS fan I am grateful for him helping my team win 2 more titles. He represented the PURPLE & GOLD with class. If he’s traded, apart of me will hate to see him go. However, the LAKERS are all about winning titles. And they prefer winning them in bunches. Therefore, if trading a player will lead to another Larry O’Brien trophy the Buss Family and Mitch will not hesitate to pull the trigger. That’s why I LOVE MY LAKERS!!

7. dwirk - May 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM

No way lakers trade gasol for boozer Noah or Deng. Lol those guys don’t win you championships. Bulls fan is delirious

8. davidcl77 - Jun 1, 2012 at 6:45 AM

It’s pretty sickening that “unnamed sources” are being quoted these days. Yellow bellies. On the other hand, there probably are no “sources.” All a bunch of made up bull to get headlines.
    There should be a law that no one is quoted unless they are held accountable.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches