May 30, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
Stan Van Gundy is a family man. Which is a cliché but it’s true. I remember back in his Heat days Van Gundy was with his then younger children, taking notes during a Summer League game (back when that was still in Long Beach). He was stealing time with them where he could.
Being an NBA coach is not a lifestyle conducive to being a family man. Which is why more and more we are hearing the buzz that Van Gundy is going to take a year off from coaching — and it seems plausible to me. He wants to be a dad for a year, I get that. The latest report along these lines comes from Chris Broussard of ESPN, on twitter.
Bobcats contacted Stan Van Gundy about their head coaching position, but were told by SVG that he may take next season off, sources say.
Now, if you’re cynical, you would say that the best way to leverage yourself for a better job and more money is to say you don’t need the job. The person willing to walk away from the negotiating table always has the upper hand. And no doubt if the job were good enough, if the offer were big enough, Van Gundy would be back the sidelines next season.
But I tend to believe the buzz. I think he would like a year off from the circus. Maybe show his brother how color commentary is really done. Then get back in the game at the place and time of his choosing.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20