May 30, 2012, 4:26 PM EST
Stan Van Gundy is a family man. Which is a cliché but it’s true. I remember back in his Heat days Van Gundy was with his then younger children, taking notes during a Summer League game (back when that was still in Long Beach). He was stealing time with them where he could.
Being an NBA coach is not a lifestyle conducive to being a family man. Which is why more and more we are hearing the buzz that Van Gundy is going to take a year off from coaching — and it seems plausible to me. He wants to be a dad for a year, I get that. The latest report along these lines comes from Chris Broussard of ESPN, on twitter.
Bobcats contacted Stan Van Gundy about their head coaching position, but were told by SVG that he may take next season off, sources say.
Now, if you’re cynical, you would say that the best way to leverage yourself for a better job and more money is to say you don’t need the job. The person willing to walk away from the negotiating table always has the upper hand. And no doubt if the job were good enough, if the offer were big enough, Van Gundy would be back the sidelines next season.
But I tend to believe the buzz. I think he would like a year off from the circus. Maybe show his brother how color commentary is really done. Then get back in the game at the place and time of his choosing.
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 0
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 18
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 36
- Extra Pass: Golden State Warriors defending at historically high level 5
- Thursday night NBA grades: Gerald Green just couldn’t seem to miss 7