May 30, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
Stan Van Gundy is a family man. Which is a cliché but it’s true. I remember back in his Heat days Van Gundy was with his then younger children, taking notes during a Summer League game (back when that was still in Long Beach). He was stealing time with them where he could.
Being an NBA coach is not a lifestyle conducive to being a family man. Which is why more and more we are hearing the buzz that Van Gundy is going to take a year off from coaching — and it seems plausible to me. He wants to be a dad for a year, I get that. The latest report along these lines comes from Chris Broussard of ESPN, on twitter.
Bobcats contacted Stan Van Gundy about their head coaching position, but were told by SVG that he may take next season off, sources say.
Now, if you’re cynical, you would say that the best way to leverage yourself for a better job and more money is to say you don’t need the job. The person willing to walk away from the negotiating table always has the upper hand. And no doubt if the job were good enough, if the offer were big enough, Van Gundy would be back the sidelines next season.
But I tend to believe the buzz. I think he would like a year off from the circus. Maybe show his brother how color commentary is really done. Then get back in the game at the place and time of his choosing.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49