May 30, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
Stan Van Gundy is a family man. Which is a cliché but it’s true. I remember back in his Heat days Van Gundy was with his then younger children, taking notes during a Summer League game (back when that was still in Long Beach). He was stealing time with them where he could.
Being an NBA coach is not a lifestyle conducive to being a family man. Which is why more and more we are hearing the buzz that Van Gundy is going to take a year off from coaching — and it seems plausible to me. He wants to be a dad for a year, I get that. The latest report along these lines comes from Chris Broussard of ESPN, on twitter.
Bobcats contacted Stan Van Gundy about their head coaching position, but were told by SVG that he may take next season off, sources say.
Now, if you’re cynical, you would say that the best way to leverage yourself for a better job and more money is to say you don’t need the job. The person willing to walk away from the negotiating table always has the upper hand. And no doubt if the job were good enough, if the offer were big enough, Van Gundy would be back the sidelines next season.
But I tend to believe the buzz. I think he would like a year off from the circus. Maybe show his brother how color commentary is really done. Then get back in the game at the place and time of his choosing.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 2
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 27
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 3
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19