May 30, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
Stan Van Gundy is a family man. Which is a cliché but it’s true. I remember back in his Heat days Van Gundy was with his then younger children, taking notes during a Summer League game (back when that was still in Long Beach). He was stealing time with them where he could.
Being an NBA coach is not a lifestyle conducive to being a family man. Which is why more and more we are hearing the buzz that Van Gundy is going to take a year off from coaching — and it seems plausible to me. He wants to be a dad for a year, I get that. The latest report along these lines comes from Chris Broussard of ESPN, on twitter.
Bobcats contacted Stan Van Gundy about their head coaching position, but were told by SVG that he may take next season off, sources say.
Now, if you’re cynical, you would say that the best way to leverage yourself for a better job and more money is to say you don’t need the job. The person willing to walk away from the negotiating table always has the upper hand. And no doubt if the job were good enough, if the offer were big enough, Van Gundy would be back the sidelines next season.
But I tend to believe the buzz. I think he would like a year off from the circus. Maybe show his brother how color commentary is really done. Then get back in the game at the place and time of his choosing.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18