May 30, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT
It was the conventional wisdom that after this season Larry Bird would walk away from his job in Indiana. He had to be coaxed back last year and with the Pacers on solid footing for the future he could step away leaving the team in a good spot as an up-and-comer in the East.
But he’d rather stay, thank you very much.
Bird told reporters Wednesday that he would like return to the Pacers next season, if owner Herb Simon wants him to. Which is a little like asking if you would like to have dinner and a few drinks with Kate Upton tonight. And she’s buying. Bird is back.
Bird is the newly minted NBA Executive of the Year (voted on by his peers, who I think did this as a lifetime achievement award thinking he was walking away), and he’s going to have to put those skills to use. The Pacers are good but have holes to fill, plus both Leandro Barbosa and Darren Collison are free agents. David West has just one more year on his deal.
Lots of things to be figured out. But we know it will be Bird pulling those strings in Indiana again.
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 2
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 28
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games