May 30, 2012, 8:04 AM EDT
Doc Rivers may have thought about sitting Ray Allen, may have talked about it with the media, but you didn’t really expect it to happen, did you?
Officially the call will be made on game day, as Rivers told A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
Allen doesn’t want any part of that, he wants to play. As Tuesday afternoon turned to evening it seemed more clear he would get his chance. He just rested and rehabbed his ankle on the day off in hopes he can give a little more in Game 2. Look what he told ESPNBoston.com.
“My trainers and I discussed (taking a game off),” Allen conceded, “but I really, really do not want go that route. Just put me out there and let me do the best I can.”
Or, look at Rivers said later.
“Not yet,” Rivers told reporters later in the day when asked about a potential move. “We’re good. Ray is Ray, we’re going to just keep rolling him out there and see what we can get. When we feel like he can’t give it to us, we’ll go with someone else. But I think right now you have to give Ray a fighting chance.”
The real problem is Rivers doesn’t have someone else. Avery Bradley is out after surgery on both shoulders. There’s Marquis Daniels but he isn’t playing any better than even injured Allen and he can’t shoot the three ball. Personally, I’d give Keyon Dooling more run. Not that he’s the answer, but he’s the best of the bad choices Rivers has to make.
Maybe more Dooling rests Allen more and it helps. But the problem isn’t just Allen’s shooting (28 percent from three in the playoffs), it’s that the Heat are targeting him on defense. Allen can’t stay in front of Dwyane Wade or even Mario Chalmers at this point. He’s a liability.
But you can expect him to be out there in Game 2.
- Report: Tracy McGrady works out with Kobe, eyes return to NBA 0
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 5
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14