May 30, 2012, 8:04 AM EDT
Doc Rivers may have thought about sitting Ray Allen, may have talked about it with the media, but you didn’t really expect it to happen, did you?
Officially the call will be made on game day, as Rivers told A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
Allen doesn’t want any part of that, he wants to play. As Tuesday afternoon turned to evening it seemed more clear he would get his chance. He just rested and rehabbed his ankle on the day off in hopes he can give a little more in Game 2. Look what he told ESPNBoston.com.
“My trainers and I discussed (taking a game off),” Allen conceded, “but I really, really do not want go that route. Just put me out there and let me do the best I can.”
Or, look at Rivers said later.
“Not yet,” Rivers told reporters later in the day when asked about a potential move. “We’re good. Ray is Ray, we’re going to just keep rolling him out there and see what we can get. When we feel like he can’t give it to us, we’ll go with someone else. But I think right now you have to give Ray a fighting chance.”
The real problem is Rivers doesn’t have someone else. Avery Bradley is out after surgery on both shoulders. There’s Marquis Daniels but he isn’t playing any better than even injured Allen and he can’t shoot the three ball. Personally, I’d give Keyon Dooling more run. Not that he’s the answer, but he’s the best of the bad choices Rivers has to make.
Maybe more Dooling rests Allen more and it helps. But the problem isn’t just Allen’s shooting (28 percent from three in the playoffs), it’s that the Heat are targeting him on defense. Allen can’t stay in front of Dwyane Wade or even Mario Chalmers at this point. He’s a liability.
But you can expect him to be out there in Game 2.
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 0
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7